small question about showering

16 years 7 months ago #7162 by SystemOperator
Replied by SystemOperator on topic small question about showering
Had 2 tubes after my RC and Neo 4/25/07 so am quite up on this subject.
I used 2 very small woodworking clamps to close off the catheters after removing the collection bags, it made showering an almost no-hassle experience.
Hope this works for you folks.
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #7158 by n3qtrtme
Replied by n3qtrtme on topic small question about showering
Good luck with the shower, but don't force him... he's been though hell already! ;)

Yes, I am STILL tired sometimes. Over the last month it's been much better but I am not yet back to completely normal energy levels. I am certainly a lot more energetic than I was right before I was diagnosed and I feel a whole lot better. It'll come back but will take some time. Just let him take it easy.

Take care!
Christine

Christine Springfield
T3/G3 - Squamous Cell/Transitional Cell Carcinomas
RC w/Studer Pouch 4/25/07

16 years 7 months ago #7156 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic small question about showering
Wow! Looks like this was a hot topic! And thanks for all the tips. We have a bench for the shower, which we got because he used to sit in the shower for his arthritis. I will pull that out of storage. I may even suggest he try one tomorrow in the hospital so he can feel fresh.

He ate 1/2 of a BLT tonight, with some fresh raw peas, and a bite of melon, so we'll know if he's going to bothered by it by tomorrow.

He's just really really tired right now, and it's work to get him to take his 6 walks that are required so he doesn't have to have those air pumps on his legs. (he hates them and bargains with the RN's to see how many walks equal a night without the pumps.)

Were you all tired for a loong time? I also look forward to the tubes being out. and fixing him a BIG plate of garlic pasta.

Stephany in Iowa

16 years 7 months ago #7155 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic small question about showering
aaaaaah...you had one more bag than i did...i just had the one on the right which was very easy to switch over and i had extra tubing and bags that they gave me at the hospital so a quick clean in the bathtub and hanging it over the towel rack wasn't a big deal to be ready for the next change. My biggest problem was the stupid bag over the catherized area leaking or irritating my skin and trying to change that one i swore i needed 3 hands..luckily i had a LPN living next door who wishes i wasn't such a good friend i'm sure!! I also had a couple of J tubes hanging down from my belly which were pretty wierd but those came out first..they collected the excess abdominal fluid. Pat

16 years 7 months ago #7154 by n3qtrtme
Replied by n3qtrtme on topic small question about showering
Pat,

With my neobladder, I had a Foley catheter leading to a collection bag on my left side and on the right side had stents from my kidneys draining into a first an ostomy bag, then a collection bag. I had leg bags, too but it ended up being such a pain to "rewire" all the tubing and strap them on for a few hours, then spend 20 minutes cleaning them after use. I was all about making life easier at that point and carrying bags, although not fun, was easier. Adhesive remover became one of my best friends during that month, what with all the tape on, tape off, and tape moving that was going on in sensitive areas. Minimizing the taping was also improved by leaving the bigger bags attached.

That's just my experience - I am certain there are many, many more people out there with their own stories to tell, some probably a lot better and a few may be worse. I have to agree with you... just getting home was SO, SO nice!

Good luck!
Christine

Christine Springfield
T3/G3 - Squamous Cell/Transitional Cell Carcinomas
RC w/Studer Pouch 4/25/07

16 years 7 months ago #7153 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic small question about showering
I could shower right away...i changed out the big bag for a leg bag...actually only wore the large bag at night so i could get a good nights sleep. They said it was alright for water to run over the stoma. I think there are less bags with the Indiana Pouch than with the neo-bladder...or at least mine were interchangable. I really don't know what they're talking about with the 2 bags ??
Just getting home to my own bed and feather pillows and non metallic food and my husband cuddling me at night went a long way to helping me get better faster...one day at a time..........Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne