Epidural vs General Anesthesia

17 years 9 months ago #786 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Epidural vs General Anesthesia
I just noticed that you were having a radical cystectomy. That may have been a major deciding factor for the docs. In this case, I think I would have to defer to their expert knowledge.....

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 9 months ago #785 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Epidural vs General Anesthesia
I am so sorry that I didn't catch this before June 30th. Hope you did well and would love to hear how it did go...were you able to get the anesthesiologist to hear you?

I have had 3 biopsys and I much prefer the epidural. The 1st time, I had no choice, and it was General....on the 2nd (at local hospital) I expressed my concerns and was given a choice. The epidural was MUCH better for me.

At the 3rd biopsy (Univeristy Medical Center) the anesthesiolgist told me that the normal procedure was general anesthesia. I told him my preference and said that "I'm hard to wake up and when I do wake up, I'm in a really BAD MOOD." He said "You are in a bad mood?"...and I said "yes", so he conferred with the docs and I got my way.

My sister, who was present, congratulated me for standing up for myself... :o

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

17 years 10 months ago #612 by VickyO.
Epidural vs General Anesthesia was created by VickyO.
I will be having a radical cystectomy on June 30th. I am a 50 year old woman who has been a C4 quadriplegic for thirty years. I want to have a Epidural because of my paralisis and small lung capasity. My surgeon said the decision has to be made by the anestheologist but I'm concerned he won't listen to me and I won't tolerate the surgery. How do I get across to him the importance of this. I'm very anxious about this and would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne