After RC how soon before able to drive long distances?

16 years 10 months ago #6003 by D61
Pat,
These are some of the differences I keep reading about here that really make me wonder about the diverse instructions we all seem to receive from the various doctors.

It's as if each doctor has a total different concept on how things should be done afterwards.

Again though, maybe it's really about each of us patients being different with similar...but not the same, circumstances. ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #5973 by Patricia
hmmmm.......jerry i was told not to lift anything over 25lbs for 3 months....please don't throw any 250lb. men over your shoulder for a while!...Pat

16 years 10 months ago #5955 by D61
These are good questions...
and bring to mind several other such issues Melodie.

That said, my doctor says he has no doubt I can go back to teaching my hand-to-hand classes in eight weeks after returning home.

This is of course based on my taking it slowly...
and not throwing a 250-pound man over my head the first night... ;)

I am in good physical condition now three weeks after my TUR,
feel great, and am now on the stair-stepper every morning before eating breakfast and even doing push-ups...

Point is, I want to be as strong and fit as possible when I have the bladder removed next month. This last trip of five-days in the hospital showed me how quick we can lose strength...

I'm still gaining breath control each day,
that stepper is not as easy as it was before my "5-day vacation". ;D

The distance you have to travel girl may make it hard on you...
but I'd bet you figure it out...

Wishin' ya the best from Texas!

16 years 10 months ago #5953 by timb
In UK its roughly judged on your ability to do an emergency stop. I was told not to drive for 6 weeks and that if I did then it would invalidate my insurance. Everyone's different but I could have driven after about 5 and was doing distance (with my partner in the car) after about 2 months. I think I knew pretty well instinctively when it was OK.

tim

16 years 10 months ago #5951 by Patricia
Melodie...i don't think it has anything to do with response time but that your new bladder is still in the healing process and you certainly would not want to risk an accident of any kind. What does your doctor say? Pat

16 years 10 months ago #5950 by Melodie
Since I plan to return to work after my RC, I am wondering if anyone can share with me their experiences of driving after having an RC. I recognize it will easily be at least 10 or 12 weeks before I can consider even going back to work part time, however, my job location is 50 miles away. :(

A friend told me he went back to part time work after 10 weeks but he only lived 4 miles from his job. He cautioned me that driving is a real concern because it takes time for us to repair and we are less able to respond quickly to traffic situations. ???

I am thinking that I will perhaps need to find some temporary housing closer to work so I don't have to travel so far until I am more fit. I recall before my TURB that traveling any distance greater than a few miles in a vehicle was really distressing to my bladder. Any advice, please, on this subject. Thanks much. ;) Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne