Cisplatin v. Carboplatin

16 years 9 months ago #5789 by danpeters
Replied by danpeters on topic Cisplatin v. Carboplatin
Joe & Shoba, Thanks for sharing your experiences with carboplatin. This week following the carboplatin treatment has certainly been less difficult than those following the cisplatin. I guess my "old school" mentality of "no pain-no gain" got me wondering - too much thinking isn't always the best approach. My doctors and your comments have been reassuring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 9 months ago #5742 by survivor
Replied by survivor on topic Cisplatin v. Carboplatin
Dan,
I had the same problem with cisplatin. My kidney function was compromised and I was already a kidney transplant patient. So, to preserve the only kidney I had, docs switched it to Carboplatin. From what I know, both are platinum drugs and are quite effective. For lung and ovarian cancers, they have already started replacing cisplatin with carboplatin , but for TCC, it is still not fully proven. I had 2 cycles of cisplatin & Gemzar, followed by 2 cycles of carboplatin & gemzar. Since you already had 3 cycles with cisplatin, I think the docs made the right decision and nothing should be compromised.Hope this helps.

-Shoba

S R
Kidney Transplant 1998
Upper Tract TCC, Dec 2004
Native kidney Right Nephroureterctomy Dec 2004
Non invasive bladder cancer,High Grade, Ta,TURB Jan 2012
Native kidney Left Nephroureterectomy Feb 2012

16 years 9 months ago #5741 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Cisplatin v. Carboplatin
Dan I had the chemo first and my surgery is coming June 20. This was the exact chemo I was receiving but week 3 of the first cycle I broke out in a rash arms and legs come to fine out I was allergic to the Gemzar. Where others seem to have more probs with the cisplatin. So in my case early into the chemo they changed it to what they call High Intensity MVAC. This link has the drugs for MVAC
www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=7955

So now I'm thinking will this chemo be as good as the other. Well my chemo was done 4/20 and then I had my CT Scan of abdomen, pelvis, and chest and everything turned out well thank God. So your oncologist sounds like he right in there on top of things. Best of Luck My Friend, Joe

16 years 9 months ago #5725 by danpeters
Replied by danpeters on topic Cisplatin v. Carboplatin
Thanks Pat and Wendy, at the time of my surgery 3 of 11 nodes were involved. 2 on the same side as the tumor and 1 on the opposite side. The tumor had invaded the muscle wall but not the fatty tissue outside the bladder.

16 years 9 months ago #5708 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Cisplatin v. Carboplatin
Hi,

Pat, I would think that since Dan has a dx of T2N2, the nodal involvement has already been detected and a PET isn't necessary.

Dan, Pat's answer explains the situation pretty well..
All the best,
Wendy

16 years 9 months ago #5698 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Cisplatin v. Carboplatin
Dan...sorry i read the other post before i read this one...so disregard my questions on the other post.
It sounds like your oncologists are doing a great job of monitoring you. A lot of people can't tolerate Cisplatin and especially if it effects the Kidneys as it has the potential to cause permanent damage. Carbonplatin is also a platinum based chemo agent and is used when you can't tolerate the Cisplatin. You may have already derived the benefits of the Cisplatin anyway but your oncologists made a good decision.
I would however still ask about the PET scan as it can indicate nodal involment....more expensive test but i would think Columbia Presbyterian would have that equipment.
I'll let other people weigh in who have had similar experiences with chemotherapy.
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne