Sodium Bicarbonate

16 years 11 months ago #5166 by solenm
Replied by solenm on topic Sodium Bicarbonate
Hi Patricia,

I'm going to get in touch with my doctor today. It's gotten a little worse actually. This morning I wasn't able to pass anything at all, I had to cath myself. It's probably the scar tissue thing again; it just seems odd cause it kind of happened overnight. When this happened before I noticed a gradual decrease in my urine flow, this time it's just completely plugging up.

I thought it could have been the mucous becuase I noticed an increase in the output and it also appeared thicker...ugh.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5161 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Sodium Bicarbonate
Mike i'm not sure about the guys protocal with neobladders but with the pouch if i seem to be getting a lot of mucuus i squirt about 30cc's of sterile saline solution into the pouch and that breaks it up. Pat

16 years 11 months ago #5150 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Sodium Bicarbonate
If you go to the home page (click on the web at the top of the forum) and type the word mucous in the search engine a whole lot of anectdotal info will come up, from people who've posted their stories in the Trenches sections.

All the best,
Wendy

16 years 11 months ago #5149 by solenm
Well that makes pretty good sense. I do drink a lot of water but I also drink and eat a lot of dairy products too. I'm addicted to cows...ha.

Yeah, the scar tissue thing has been a bit of pain but I guess it's a small price to pay considering everything else. I'm very grateful for what my doctors and technology have done for me.

I'm scheduled to see my uroglogist in June but if I don't see any improvement over the next few days I'll give him a call and let him know whats going on.

Again, thank you so much for you're feedback.

Mike S.

16 years 11 months ago #5148 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Sodium Bicarbonate
Oof, sorry to hear about the scar tissue ops, that must have been no fun...

About mucous, people with neobladders and pouches usually find that it's highly connected to diet and fluids. I've heard that drinking more water will help and avoiding too much dairy. Some people have more than others, some have almost none at all. It's normal but not if it's causing the need to catheterize!

16 years 11 months ago #5147 by solenm
Hello again and thanks for the reply.

Sorry that I didn't provide enough information on my initial post. Yes, my urologist had told me that I was having "absorption" in the neobladder and that was causing the negative blood tests. If I remember correctly my potassium level was too high and the carbon dioxide was too low. I quit taking it because my blood work came back fine on the last visit and another doctor I'm seeing questioned even why I was taking it. Too many doctors with too many opinions? It gets confusing.

Since my Cystectomy I've had to go back in and have scar tissue cleared from my urethra on two different occassions. The last procedure was done this past January. Everything was going fine and then all of a sudden I started having trouble urinating; it happend like overnight and I noticed the mucous output was getting heavier. I'm guessing now that it's the scar tissue again...sigh.

Thank you for replying.

Mike S.
Ohio

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne