Urostomy questions

16 years 11 months ago #5095 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Urostomy questions
Hi,

We have some information about these practical problems on webcafe:
blcwebcafe.org/ilealconduits.asp as well as Roni Olsen's complete book in pdf format:
"Bladder Cancer, Urostomy and Impotence:
blcwebcafe.org/bladder_cancer_urostomy_and_impotence.pdf

I feel it's shameful of the medical team to send your husband home without helping him connect with an experienced stoma nurse to teach him the ins and outs. I would say contact the hospital and ask everyone how this can be arranged. It's standard procedure and very necessary.

All the best,
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #5088 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Urostomy questions
Hi Granny.....call the hospital or your doctor who did the surgery and request that a stoma nurse be sent out to your house to help him.......your insurance should cover this...and the social worker at the hospital should also be able to help you coordinate this.  Tell them the problems and that you were given no instructions when you went home.  Lordy.....i think i've heard it all...and then i hear some more!!!  I do not have a urostomy but an Indiana Pouch but even i was not allowed to bathe until all tubes taken out of me...showers only. Also have your doctor write a prescription for your medical supplies so that your insurance will cover it...your insurance company will tell you which medical supply houses they accept. If you happen to be on Medicare...its a bit different...they're way behind the times on urostomy products and won't pay for much but if you have a secondary insurance in place appeal to them for what Medicare won't pay. Good luck and let us know how it turns out........   Pat

16 years 11 months ago #5083 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Urostomy questions
Dutchy,

I haven't had an RC, so I can't answer your questions, but I'm going to move your thread to the Radical Cystectomy section, so that it will get the proper notice.

Glad you're here, and I hope someone will weigh in for you soon.

Your friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 11 months ago #5082 by dutch47
Urostomy questions was created by dutch47
We are so new to this, my husband had his urostomy 8 weeks ago, and feel as if we could use some help in some ageas.

Rightr now me, his wife is puting the bag on, but he is very anxious to start to do it himself, bet we have no ideal how to set it up for him to see to get the bag on properly. Also any ideals for hook up at night, we are using the foley bag like they did in the hospital but he has such limited movement. Also what to do when he bathes, do you cover the bag with a big plastic bag, and where do you all buy your supplies. I I know we will have more question and will post them later.these right now questions as time goes on

Any help in any area and any suggestion will be very appreciated. He will have chemo, but has to gain his weight back as he lost 30lbs so that will not happen for a while. Also he gets pain in his tail bone area, anyone out there have that problem?

Waiting to hear, as I said any suggestions in any area are welcome.

Thank you.

Grannie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne