stoma leakage after Indiana pouch surgery

7 months 3 weeks ago #61927 by jmwgreen
Replied by jmwgreen on topic stoma leakage after Indiana pouch surgery
Sorry you're experiencing this. I got my Indiana Pouch about a year ago. The leaking was more frequent in the first 6 months. Now, it usually only happens for me when I wait too long to "go." Sometimes it also happens if I don't drink enough fluids, which produces too much mucus and then I leak that a little. Weird, I know. Have you noticed a pattern to the leaking or does it just happen randomly? My doctor was very experienced in IP surgery and said he reinforced the valve so that I shouldn't leak. So from the info you provided it's hard to know if your issue is from waiting too long between bathroom breaks or an issue with the surgery. My understanding is that you can have revision surgery if it is the latter. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #61841 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic stoma leakage after Indiana pouch surgery
There are two patients support groups for Indiana pouch which I am aware of.

Sandy hosts monthly Zoom meetings for patients with Indiana pouch.  
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Neobladder and Indiana  pouch patients support group in British Columbia, Canada
I believe it is held bi-monthly. Fiona - ostomy nurse is hosting  Zoom based
support group. 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Discussion board
Below is the link to discussion board of UOAA (United Ostomy Discussion Board)
www.uoaa.org/forum/search.php?keywords=indiana+pouch&sid=c42b11b819164ae271946bdc8a7d2cbc

A catheter manufacturer site says as follows on incontinency after Indiana pouch surgery.

Incontinence: urine leakage occurs more frequently during the first few months as the pouch is still learning to hold urine. But it can also occur if the ileocecal valve is not totally continent, or if the pouch goes too long without catheterization. 

9 months 3 weeks ago - 9 months 3 weeks ago #61839 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic stoma leakage after Indiana pouch surgery
You should check with the stoma nurse at the hospital where you had your surgery. They can usually give you the most help.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 months 3 weeks ago #61838 by Alan
I am sorry no one has responded with some ideas. Myself, I have not had a cystectomy so while I am not a lot of help, I wanted you to know it is being seen.

As far as any advice, I would call the URO's office and talk to the charge nurse. Sometimes they have more time and actual experience on items like this. Some medium and larger towns have bladder cancer support groups to reach out to, maybe even a stoma society.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

9 months 3 weeks ago #61833 by c_mcknight
stoma leakage after Indiana pouch surgery was created by c_mcknight
I had surgery for muscle-invasive bladder cancer in April.  The stoma is constantly seeping to the point of wetting clothes, so  I must wear a bandage or Poise pad (repositioned, of course) all the time. My surgeon is not helpful.  Any information?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne