Just diagnosed with T2 muscle invasive bladder tumor

1 year 7 months ago #61404 by CactusEd
I see an oncologist next week. After having intermittent gross hematuria since March of 2020 and seeing 5 different docs who either said it was my prostate or I was passing a stone or it was because of my blood thinner, one doc told me sometimes the cause of bleeding is never found, I started bleeding heavily on a Sunday and developed huge clots in my bladder which obstructed the outlet. I couldn't pee and went to the ER then Monday I saw a new urologist who did a cystoscopy to remove the clots and that was when he actually saw my tumor.  It had been missed on the cysto I'd had 4 months earlier just as it hadn't been seen on the 6 pelvic CTs and 2 ultrasounds in the last almost 2 1/2 years. The biopsy showed T1 high grade urothelial with 50% signet ring cells.  My TURBT was about 3 weeks later, that's when the muscle invasion was found along with "abundant" carcinoma in situ. 

When do you have to decide on having your bladder removed?  Is it after the chemo or are they saying you need the cystectomy regardless of if you respond to the chemo or not?  What kind of chemo are you having... what drugs and is it intravesical or intravenous?  Is your urologist doing it or are you seeing an oncologist?  Are you being treated at a large cancer center where they have lots of experience with reconstruction after cystectomies?  My urologist says I'm too old at 73 to have a neobladder but I think I'm in pretty good shape other than age.  When I asked him if he does neobladders he said "I have done them but...." so if my bladder comes out, first I need to talk with someone who doesn't plan my treatment around his surgical abilities.  The closest city big enough to have a large cancer center is about 5 hours away, I think I'll try to see someone there.  I'll talk to the oncologist about it on Thursday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 7 months ago #61403 by Rockwood61
I started Chemo this week but might have to make a decision on which way to go if I have to have my bladder removed. 

1 year 7 months ago #61402 by CactusEd
Hello Rockwood.  I'm in the same boat.  It doesn't look like this forum is busy enough to do us any good which is too bad.  I wish you well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockwood61

1 year 7 months ago #61397 by Rockwood61
Still trying to comprehend everything that I was hit with. The urologist wants to remove the bladder and gave me several options plus chemotherapy. Would like to hear from people that went through this and their experience with living without a bladder and what procedure they had.Thanks in advance trying to decide which way to go.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne