96 yr old w/muscle invasive bladder cancer

3 years 2 months ago #60540 by readabook
Replied by readabook on topic 96 yr old w/muscle invasive bladder cancer
Hi there- I can relate- my dad is about to be 93 and has bladder cancer. Being a very private and independent guy has had "little procedures" over the years to help with urinating and honestly both he and urologist kept us in dark- but now he is too uncomfortable and is opening up too us a bit. Had a tumor removed in the fall and is still bleeding and having urinary issues. PET scan was clear. He was very attached to his urologist ( a one doc office) but finally just left him and will see a new practice next week. Also just starting immunotherapy with a med called tecentriq. There is no way he could handle/manage/survive(?) bladder removal. He also has heart issues. Like your mom is not an "old" 93! In fact he is quite insulted to be thought of as so.
I will be following along.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #60526 by Alan
I believe a second opinion is a good idea. Ask away as you go. There is usually someone that can answer further questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 2 months ago #60524 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic 96 yr old w/muscle invasive bladder cancer
Your mom definitely needs a second opinion .  I would really wonder why the doctor would remove kidneys if they aren’t cancerous.  Why is she on dialysis ?

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 2 months ago #60523 by MomsCaregiver
Replied by MomsCaregiver on topic 96 yr old w/muscle invasive bladder cancer
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your response.   This is so new to me that I have not had time to perform research.   My Mom does not want the surgery and I am moving toward the decision too.   The kidneys are not cancerous but the Doctor wants to remove them along with the Bladder.   I am scheduling an appointment for a second opinion.   These last few days have been overwhelming.  

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #60520 by Alan
Welcome Momscargiver,

I wanted to reassure you your post is being seen. A few questions on my
end. If your Mom is on dialysis, are the kidneys cancerous? If so I
could see understand the surgery suggestion surgery, if not why is this proposed? As far as
bladder removal. This is a very rigorous surgery even if your Mom
generally has good health (I question good health if on dialysis), it is
high risk. So much of this is way above my pay grade and none of us are
doctors knowing all her situation, simply those that have "been there and done that".

I would have an in-depth question and answer with the medical team and
ask lots of questions on why? What if? What after the surgery will look
like? Can a 93 year old handle this or, how many 85+ old patients has this
doctor operated on? What were the prognosis and outcomes? Are there
other treatments that may extend life with a 93-year-old with general
good health? Yes, even to the point of a second opinion for other treatment ideas. Adding this kind of surgery, Medicare may also have
something to say on payments.

You are certainly a wonderful caregiver helping out.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #60519 by MomsCaregiver
96 yr old w/muscle invasive bladder cancer was created by MomsCaregiver
My Mom is 93 years old and a dialysis patient.   Last week, she was diagnosed with invasive Bladder Cancer.  I am concerned because the Urologist wants to remove my Mom's kidneys and bladder.   I don't know who to turn to for more information.   My Mom flat out refuses to have surgery.  Should I get a second opinion?

Please help!

Post Note:  I would like to add the Doctors feel that my Mom has a lot of life in her - especially since she does not act and feel her age.  I am just concerned that surgery is the only option.   They believe that she will do well after the surgery.  Since she is a dialysis patient she does not expel much urine at all - maybe 2 ounces a day.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne