Sex after partial cystectomy....

3 years 3 months ago #60248 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Sex after partial cystectomy....
I had a partial cysectomy almost 11 years ago. I’m not going to address the sex question, but being too active too soon could cause an incisional hernia. I have a small one near the bottom of my incision which I think may have been caused by picking up my dog too soon. I had a catheter for almost 4 weeks post op as my bladder healed and at six weeks started walking a mile to ease back into physical activity. I was fairly physically fit at the time of my diagnosis. Even though things may seem healed on the outside, the inside incision also has to have time to completely heal.

There aren’t many of us ‘partials’ here, and I wish you the best outcome and many years of good health ahead.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soulbarn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #60247 by Soulbarn
Replied by Soulbarn on topic Sex after partial cystectomy....
Thank you. I’ll wait...

I know that partial cystectomy is rare, and I am very lucky and grateful that my tumor - which is high grade - was in the right spot for that procedure. There’s a high chance of recurrence, and constant monitoring ahead, but for now I am counting my blessings. Thank you again to this forum.

3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #60245 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Sex after partial cystectomy....
Figured I'd respond as I doubt you'll have many replies as in 12 years I have only seen 2 partial cystectomy cases on this board. As in any invasive or aggressive surgery I'd ask myself what is prudent on any activity? For that I would always defer to your doctor as everyone is different. 6 weeks would seem to be a good answer or as is "comfortable" with. Why rush anything when one has the rest of their life to live?

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 3 months ago #60238 by Soulbarn
Sex after partial cystectomy.... was created by Soulbarn
I was one of the lucky few to have been eligible for partial cystectomy. I know how rare that is. I’m three weeks out on my surgery, now. My doc isn’t really super helpful about when I can resume sexual activity...he says, “as long as six weeks.”

If you’ve had a partial cystectomy, when did you resume sexual activity? What are the risks?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne