my 92.5 year old dad just had tumor removed from bladder.

2 years 1 month ago #61211 by Jodibeth
Hi I just saw your post and I know it is from 1.5 ago. But I just wondered what kind of treatment your father found? Thank you. Jodi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59834 by readabook
Thank-you Sara.anne. Yes - no way can that type of surgery happen. Neither of my parents could survive it. The live alone and are very sharp- but no longer walk, only drive to local necessities, my dad has a pacemaker etc etc.

3 years 7 months ago #59833 by sara.anne
Depending on how far the tumor has extended into the bladder wall and assuming it has not spread beyond that, the usual treatment plan is to remove the bladder. However, this is not trivial surgery, and taking into account your father's age and physical condition the urologist may feel that this would not be a good idea. The oncologist may have some treatments available that would not be uncomfortable and that could extend his life.

This is something for your father (and you if you are a caretaker) to discuss either with the urologist or with the oncologist. It is important to gather all the facts so that a wise decision can be made. It is not so much age as it is health status that counts here.

Best to your father and to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: readabook

3 years 7 months ago #59832 by readabook
anyone with a parent in their 90's?

3 years 7 months ago #59831 by readabook
My 92,5 year old dad has been peeing blood for a bit- between covid and being a super private old school gentleman we didn't know. Two weeks ago I thought I was taking him to have kidney stones zapped and was stunned when non verbal urologist said he had removed a tumor. He stayed the nignt as he had a hard time waking from anesthesia and he does terribly with catheter just on his own.
Dc did not insert any chem and did not go over results til an office visit two weeks later.but because cancer is in wall of bladder he is to see oncology. I am very concerned that oncology will be able to do anything with a 92 year old man.I just want him to be comfortable and to live out his days with my mom. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne