Diversion choice question

4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #59208 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Diversion choice question
rsmith1jax,

Welcome, just sorry for why you are here. I have not had a cystectomy however, I have bookmarked a very good source on the 3 types of diversions. As it won't hyperlink go ahead and copy and paste it: my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion

Hopefully someone that frequents here can give you a better read on what the diaphramatic pressure issues might cause for an accomplished trumpet player. As I understand it there are different muscles used on some. I would certainly let your surgeon know about your concerns if you haven't already so they can be in the loop.

Keep asking away as you go. You will be helping someone else down the road!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 1 month ago #59207 by rsmith1jax
Diversion choice question was created by rsmith1jax
I am a 70 year old male professional trumpet player. I recently had a malignant tumor removed from my bladder and will begin chemo in two weeks.
I will have RC surgery this summer and will have to make a decision on diversion methods. My concern is that I use a tremendous amount of diaphramatic pressure in playing the trumpet. I am concerned about continence. Have any of you been through this situation? Which diversionary devices will allow me to continue to play?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne