Neobladder recovery at home

4 years 1 week ago #59246 by Golfer
Replied by Golfer on topic Neobladder recovery at home
I just thought I'd add that I was glad that I listened and did not get a hospital bed beforehand.
Even in the hospital my husband had a hard time getting out of the bed.
When we got home I moved a power recliner into the bedroom and that has worked out fine.
It's easier for him to get in and out, and the bags either side of him have the space needed.

The physical therapist came and showed him how to roll out of the bed without hurting himself.
Hoping the stents will be taken out next week and neo-bladder activated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 1 month ago #59146 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Neobladder recovery at home
As this is abdominal surgery I am sure it is a minimum of 3 months and probably 4-6. This is really a question for your surgeon as I had a triple bypass 3 years ago and doing great. However, his way of splitting me and a few other techniques he told be to lay off at LEAST 3 months. It is not something to push as these kind of surgery and recoveries are marathon and not push the envelope. I would guess he will be told chip and putt for awhile at 3 months, then half shots then full shots later. It will give him something to look forward too.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 1 month ago #59145 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic Neobladder recovery at home

:) Not bladder related, but .... In-between my last TURBT, BCG treatments and an upcoming Cystoscopy, I had Rotator Cuff surgery for torn tendons and bicep. That was one of my first questions to my Physical therapist as an Amateur Hobby golfer - how long till I can swing a club again :laugh: (5 months for me)

TURBT Jan 2019; Diag: CIS
Induction BCG (Mar 19) /Maint BCG (Aug 19)
TURBT Nov 2019; Diag: CIS
Repeat Induction BCG - Jan 2020 Complete

4 years 1 month ago #59143 by Golfer
Replied by Golfer on topic Neobladder recovery at home
Thank you Alan,
Was not able to respond before, as I cleared some time without medical appointments and took my husband on a cruise.
He is wondering about recovery time for golf? I'm thinking 6 months.

4 years 1 month ago #58985 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Neobladder recovery at home
Welcome golfer,

As I have not had to have a neo bladder I can only offer 2 bits of help. Perhaps renting a hospital bed may make sense at the same time a few friends have gone through this and didn't get one. One got the external bag and the other a neo bladder. By the way the neo bladder guy plays a lot of golf with me and doing very well 5 years out! Just don't let him rush back too soon. This guy did and it did set him back awhile.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 1 month ago #58984 by Golfer
Neobladder recovery at home was created by Golfer
My husband, a golfer, opted for neo-bladder and surgery due 2nd March.

He has asked me to look into getting a hospital bed for our home while he recovers.
Just wondered if anyone had thoughts/opinions on this ?
Any tips on how to be comfortable sleeping would be appreciated.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne