This is very difficult. If your father is mentally competent this is his decision. I hope that he has discussed this carefully with his doctors to be sure that he understands exactly what the treatment would entail so that his decision would be an educated one.
Your role is to support and love him no matter what his decision!
Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
my 92 year old father was presented with this option. He has aggressive invasive bladder cancer. He is reluctant to go for regular infusions and very worried what a PET scan would reveal. Which he would have to do regularly. He just is tired and not into any of this . It's hard. I understand where he is coming from.
My 96 year old father in law was diagnosed in January 2019 w/ muscle invasive bladder cancer and decided on no treatment. He subsequently agreed to radiation but only had 2 treatments. He had another cystoscopy 3 months ago that showed bladder cancer in situ. Another cysto was done this week and today biopsy results show muscle invasive bladder cancer. Surgery is not an option for his age and chemo would likely be fatal for him so his urologist is saying that he could possibly have immunotherapy. Any thoughts on this?