Unhappy with ileal conduit

5 years 3 weeks ago #57217 by Ange
Replied by Ange on topic Unhappy with ileal conduit
Agreesive, high grade tumor. Invaded lining but not muscle wall. But afraid it may invade muscle wall, so wants to remove bladder, lump nodes, female organs. And soon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 weeks ago #57216 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Unhappy with ileal conduit
Ange, exactly what were your results?

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 3 weeks ago #57215 by Ange
Replied by Ange on topic Unhappy with ileal conduit
I am happy to,read your article. As I am also, new to this. Just had biopsy of my TURN operation. We traveled to Cleveland clinic last week for the surgery, 5 hours away. Today's results were not good. I also need my bladder removed. I do not want to go with BCG because does not sound good results. I am aggressive and high grade tumors. Just starting to educate myself on the different ways to urine.

5 years 1 month ago #57132 by Crusher
Replied by Crusher on topic Unhappy with ileal conduit
Chris, Bob and Sara;
My first post and also a virgin in the Bladder cancer family. Just received biopsy report after TURBT and it appears I got a two-Fer, Urothelial carcinoma and high grade in situ, not in the muscle (so non-invasive). Thanks for your initial post Chris, I am making that same choice added to immunotherapy (BCG) possibility and like you, I am pretty active and intend to stay that way, skiing - boating - golfing. 62 yrs. young and VA Sacramento (Mather) is my primary care provider. Urologist that did the TURBT suggested the "play book" said Early Cystectomy but seemed enthusiastic about BCG now that some is available. With the high recurrence rate of this cancer and the prospect of multiple regiments of BCG I am leaning towards getting the cancers out asap and trusting UC Davis to whip up a nice neo bladder for me. Not crazy about the idea of removing original equipment organs from my body but I have seen too much cancer in my life to really want to mess with it. The exact issues you raised are my concerns about conduit and/or pouches. I assume the doctors involved in your care understood your activity level? Is there any creativity/customization that surgeons are willing to do in the industry or is it pretty standardized? Participating in a forum like this is new to me so forgive any faux paux on my part.

5 years 1 month ago #57075 by Pando40
Replied by Pando40 on topic Unhappy with ileal conduit
Thanks for all your info chris. Very helpful. I am 79 and just got the pouch/stoma. Hoping to find a new normal.
Bob

5 years 1 month ago #57070 by chnayeri
Replied by chnayeri on topic Unhappy with ileal conduit
Pando40,

I don’t like the constant pull, on your stomach, the changing of the bag, the leaks,
Can’t sleep on my stomach. The pouch is made inside your body but you still have to drain it, that has leaks too.. for me being so active and movement. Neobladder is made inside your body, you teach yourself when to go, that has leaks too but you go normal, I rather wear depends until trained. For men who are in good shape and like their bodies, I think it’s the best. Just do your homework. You can go from neobladder to bag but not the other way. I should have bet on myself and surgeon..but It just been 2months running and hitting the weights and just being me with an extra piece of clothing. Think about how much products you need for each type ileal conduit, pouch or Neobladder.
Chris

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne