RC inevitable - NJ Dr. suggestions?

7 years 10 months ago #51303 by Jmitchell418
Replied by Jmitchell418 on topic RC inevitable - NJ Dr. suggestions?
Thanks, Sara Anne. I'll certainly have your advice in mind when I meet with my doc next week to discuss the plan. Tough days ahead....

45YO male
11/30/2015 Left nephrectomy
2/17/2016 left ureterectomy
8/10/2016 cyctoprostatectomy w/ileal conduit diversion
Cancer free since!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #51302 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic RC inevitable - NJ Dr. suggestions?
Joe, so sorry to hear of your recurrence. I know that this is NOT what you were hoping to hear!

Just to be ornery, I am going to second your doctor's recommendation that you get a consult at Memorial Sloan Kettering. IT IS ONE OF THE TOP PLACES IN THE COUNTRY. Facing NYC may be daunting, but with what you are facing with bladder cancer that is nothing. Yours is NOT a simple case of an RC for recurrent bladder tumors; you have already lost one kidney and one ureter....only have one left. If ever there was a case where the absolutely best medical advice and care is needed, it is yours. You are still young and have the potential for a long and good life ahead of you. Protect it!!!

Wishing you the very best...

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 10 months ago #51301 by Jmitchell418
RC inevitable - NJ Dr. suggestions? was created by Jmitchell418
Hi, all. It's been a while sine I checked in. My last cysto was in March and only 2 small tumors were removed. I went through 6 weeks of BCG during which time I had zero side effects. Today, 4 weeks after completing BCG, I had a follow up cysto..... Not good at all. Several large tumor patches (5+ cm) removed and doc is very concerned about how aggressive the cancer is. Since BCG had no effect and with such an aggressive reoccurrance in only 10 weeks, he's recommending bladder removal.

I'll have a consult with him next Wed and I'll have a better idea as to his RC skills and experience with the different diversion options that may apply to me, but wanted to see if anyone in NJ has had an RC, been pleased with their doc, and can share their experiences with me?

He suggested I seek a second opinion at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC, but personally speaking, the thought of dealing with NYC only adds to my stress. I'd prefer to stay in NJ if possible.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Joe

45YO male
11/30/2015 Left nephrectomy
2/17/2016 left ureterectomy
8/10/2016 cyctoprostatectomy w/ileal conduit diversion
Cancer free since!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne