questions regardng treatement

7 years 11 months ago #51160 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic questions regardng treatement
So sorry to have to welcome you and your husband to our "club."

It does sound as if your treatment plan is a good one. The chemo will help to ensure that if any cancer cells have escaped the bladder they will be found and destroyed, while removal of the bladder will get rid of the primary threat. He had a CT-urogram, so a PET scan would just be a very similar diagnositic to be sure that tumors were not present in the ureters and kidneys. Radiation is very occasionally used to treat bladder cancer, but seems to cause more problems than solutions.

My reading of the plan is that it is "right on" with what most urologists and oncologists with a lot of experience in bladder cancer treatment would recommend.

Wishing you both the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #51159 by bignell
questions regardng treatement was created by bignell
My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer, high grade invasive(T2)He had a TURBT, CT urogram, chest scan, bone scan, cystectomy. We were referred to a medical oncologist at UPenn. The game plan is 3 cycles of chemo: gemsitobin and cisplantin together one week, next week just cisplatin, third week off, repeated 3 times. Then imaging, then surgery to remove the bladder and build him a new bladder.

I have been reading a lot and I am curious as to the wide range of treatment, some do radiation, some don't, some have PET scans, some don't. Is there a standard treatment?

I am so afraid that perhaps we didn't make the correct decision. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne