facing a radicl cystectomy and terrified

7 years 1 month ago #52849 by bacibear
Replied by bacibear on topic facing a radicl cystectomy and terrified
I am scheduled for a radical cysectomy on March 17th. My surgeon is Dr. Arnold Chin at UCLA. He will do the operation via the Davinci System. I have done some background research on Dr. Chin. His patients are very happy with him and he has done a lot of these operations. UCLA is ranked as one of the top Urology centers in the country.

Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #52212 by jaggyquimper12
Replied by jaggyquimper12 on topic facing a radicl cystectomy and terrified
We live in florida. I will keep searching and once I get names I am willing to go anywhere.
Need a Doctor who has been doing at least 100 surgeries per year using Da Vinci.
Thanks,
Roger

7 years 5 months ago #52211 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic facing a radicl cystectomy and terrified
I don't know of any such list....you need to ask these questions of the urologist who is suggesting the surgery.

If you let us know where you are located, geographically, someone on the Forum may have suggestions as to places near you for a second opinion if you are not satisfied with your current situation.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 5 months ago #52210 by jaggyquimper12
Replied by jaggyquimper12 on topic facing a radicl cystectomy and terrified
Sara Anne,
I would like to get a list of Doctors doing Robotic-assisted laparoscopic cystectomy and neobladder surgery with at least 100 surgeries.
How do I search and thanks in advance,
Roger looking to a better future.

7 years 5 months ago #52205 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic facing a radicl cystectomy and terrified
Roger, you will do fine with this!! It is complicated surgery, but with a really good surgeon you will be amazing!

IF I were a male, I would seriously consider a neo (they don't work as well with females.) However, I would want to be at a place and with a doctor who does LOTS of these...at least 100 or more a year. Any less and the doctor is still practicing. The success of the surgery is at least 80-90% dependent on the skill of the surgeon.

It also depends on the situation that he finds when he gets inside. Sometimes a patient goes into surgery expecting a neobladder and comes out with an ileal conduit since the position of the tumor made that impossible.

As to whether you have your surgery (no matter what kind) done robotically or conventionally is, again, immaterial. What counts is the EXPERTISE of the surgeon and the NUMBER he has done with that particular method.

You wouldn't take your brand new Maserati into a mechanic who only does diesel trucks, would you? You would find someone who specializes in Maseratis (you DO have a Maserati, don't you? :P ) Well, you need to get a mechanic for your body the same way.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: dani

7 years 5 months ago #52204 by Plk
I just wanted to update everyone. I am now celebrating my one year anniversary since my radical Cystectomy. IT is my new normal and while it isn't the same, I am able to live my life with little interruption. I am back to work and doing everything I used to do. A huge thank you to everyone on this cite who gave me so much support and suggestions for how to deal with some issues.

My only problem is surgical hernias, and one around my stoma, which could not be in my navel because of prior surgery. Has anyone else had this type of problem.

PLK in NJ

PLK in NJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: dani

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne