Need advice on dad's bladder cancer

8 years 3 months ago #50266 by LillianG
Replied by LillianG on topic Need advice on dad's bladder cancer
Hi momoftwo. I'm so sorry to read about your dad's situation. I'm no doctor and I don't think anyone on this board will be able to tell you how long you will have with your dad. Hopefully, you will have many, many years.

The only suggestion that I have for you is to make sure that your dad is being treated by a hospital and team of doctors who have a lot of experience with bladder cancer. If he is already being treated by such a team, then talk to his doctors to find out what they feel is his best treatment path. If he isn't at an experienced facility, then perhaps you can help him seek a second opinion from another, more-experienced facility.

There's always hope, so don't give up too quickly. Please keep us posted on how your dad is doing.

Best wishes to you and your dad.

5/2015 4x2cm HG Ta Papillary TCC; 6 initial BCG followed by 3 sets of BCG maintenance. Ten scopes - all NED. Now at scope 1x year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #50265 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Need advice on dad's bladder cancer
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I HATE bladder cancer.

The only ones who can really answer your questions are your dad's doctors. Each case is different, and only they are close enough to really know the situation.

If they feel that there is not a lot that can be done (and again, this you need to talk with the doctor about), please have your dad consider Hospice care. They can do wonders for pain.and are a wonderful support for both the patient and the family. Both my Mom and Dad were under Hospice care and I don't know what I would have done without them.

Wishing you and your family all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 3 months ago #50262 by Momoftwo
Need advice on dad's bladder cancer was created by Momoftwo
My dad is 73 and was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Originally no blood in urine just some back pain and urination frequency. After testing was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Within a week of diagnosis he was in the ER because he couldn't urinate at all. Two stents were put in the urethras to open them up so kidneys could drain to the bladder. Surgery was recommended to remove bladder. Opened him for surgery and closed him back up.....cancer was outside the bladder and advanced. Surgery was too risky. After surgery he had two blood transfusions for low hemoglobin. He is now in a rehab facility to evaluate him. He is weak, no real appetite, in constant pain, has the urge to urinate but doesn't and eventually does and now there is blood in urine and burning. He was on Percocet every four hours and they upped it to OxyContin extended release. He also has a blood clot in his leg which is very swollen. It's been just under two months since official diagnosis and 11 days since attempted surgery. Is chemo even an option? How much time do I have with my dad?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne