Johns Hopkins Pathology Report - Muscle Invasive

8 years 9 months ago #48902 by jimswife
Totally agree with Sara Anne and George. Out with the bladder. I know it seems like such a big thing right now and you probably figure it will be the end of the world. It will be a large surgery but once you are recovered it will make your life so much easier and better. We know at our house as my husband had his bladder removed 5 yrs ago this August. Know that this is a great, safe place to come for info, support and to vent. That's what folks here do. Wishing you the very best on this journey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago #48875 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Johns Hopkins Pathology Report - Muscle Invasive
I echo George's wise words. Get the thing out of there!! But, having said that, I will add that you do have time to slow down and plan the course. Yes, you DO want a urologist who does MANY cystectomies and who does have experience with women. This could be your current urologist or it might not. That is your decision. You need to ask the questions...does he see and treat a lot of women? Can he offer you a choice of diversions or is he just familiar with one?

If I remember correctly, you live in Arizona? There are several good options for a second opinion in Phoenix....Mayo and Dr. Donald Lamm at BCOncology.

Just remember, yes...you want this thing out of there but yes you also want it done right. An extra week or so to get all the information you need and to make a decision that you feel comfortable with is very important.

Wishing you the very best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

8 years 9 months ago #48874 by GKLINE
I am so sorry to read this post. But, You are at the right place to start your journey.
I am not a Dr. but.............. Get that bladder out of there! You will be seeing a lot of Dr's and, at times you will fall into a funk. And that is what we are here for. To add some laymans's(and laywomens) perspective. We know what you are feeling and we will listen to your fears, rants, and questions.

I am hoping for you that your bc is highly treatable and you will recover fully.

With compassion and hope,

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

8 years 9 months ago #48872 by MHY
After a few months struggling with a nasty urologist (see previous posts)and finally finding a much better urologist, I have learned that my cancer has invaded the muscle. The pathology report from Johns Hopkins reads, "infiltrating high grade urothelial carcinoma. the carcinoma invades muscularis propria (detrusor muscle)". It is signed by the man himself, Jonathan I. Epstein, M.D.

My urologist has made it very clear from day one if the cancer invades the muscle the bladder must go. I am scheduled to see an oncologist today.

My first question is should I be getting a second opinion? My second question is if the bladder must go should I be seen by a urologist/surgeon that has performed this type of surgery on lots of women?

At this point I can't think of any other questions to ask this forum because my brain is fried and has fallen like a soufflé.

Thank you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne