Loved one in Hospice

9 years 3 weeks ago #48598 by dhva
Replied by dhva on topic Loved one in Hospice
Hi, sorry to hear you are going through this. I can only offer you my personal experience from supporting my father in his final days in hospice, please realize everyone will not have the same progression. Be rest assured that you are in a great place as hospice care is the best possible situation for what you are expereincing. My father entered hospice in similar condition as he was upright in bed with little or no pain initially. But, he was unable to eat or drink anything and had a feeding tube inserted the week prior to hospice. His bladder cancer had matasticised in his rectum and intestines. The first few days were OK as he was coherent and in decent spirits. My advice would be to enjoy that time as it will likely go downhill very quickly. Hospice nurses gradually increased his morphine since his pain increased on day 3 and 4, and the jaundice eventually takes over and the eyes begin to sink in. The feet and legs continue to swell and as they continue to increase morphine, my dad essentially entered a comatose state. I will say that it seemed many other cancer patients on his floor that i visited seemed to progress simarly. I will say that is the toughest period as they are unresponsive and appear to struggle to breath. But, as hard as it was, I was glad to be there holding his hand and talking to him during that time. It seemed like an eternity, but in reality was only about 36 hours until he quietly gasped his last breath and passed. Good luck with your mother-in-law, I am sure hospice will keep her comfortable. Best regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 weeks ago #48596 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Loved one in Hospice
I moved your post to a place of its own where more of our members may see it.

I am very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. This is such a horrible disease. Maybe someday no one will have to suffer this.

Everyone's journey is different. You are fortunate to have her in Hospice....they really do make an otherwise intolerable situation do-able. The Hospice workers are your best friends right now, and they are open to all your questions about what to expect. Both my mother and my father were in Hospice care and I do not know what we would have done without their guidance and sympathetic help.

Our hearts go out to you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 3 weeks ago #48595 by Batman
Loved one in Hospice was created by Batman
Hello, here to help my mother in law with bladder cancer. I need to know what her progression may look like. Right now she is in a hospice bed upright, labored breathing, jaundiced, no pain! She has swollen legs. Iwant to know what to expect next so my face is soft and not shocked. Thanks for any help.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne