Dad has doubts on bladder and prostate removal

9 years 2 weeks ago #48455 by jimswife
Replied by jimswife on topic Dad has doubts on bladder and prostate removal
As the wife of a stage 4 bladder cancer survivor I can say without any doubt that if the doctor he is seeing says he needs to have bladder, prostate etc removed I would go for a second opinion and weigh the results. We don't know a lot about the specifics of your dads situation but I will tell you having "a little bit of cancer in his prostate" means that it has indeed gone from his bladder into his prostate and hopefully nowhere else. I don't mean to frighten you just tell you what I've learned after dealing with BC for over 4 1/2 years. It is not to be trifled with. It's serious and he needs to go to a good hospital/doctor. As Sara Anne says Moffitt in Tampa, FL is an excellent place. If he hasn't been there perhaps setup an appointment to see one of their BC surgeons will give him the information he needs. As far as the surgery goes it is a big surgery, but, I can say, it was worth it because even with 3 positive lymph nodes my husband is alive and feeling pretty darned well over 4 1/2 years later. DO encourage your dad to see a good BC doctor that's so important. Wishing you all the very best!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 2 weeks ago #48418 by GKLINE
Wow!
So much happens so quickly.
Glad to hear that you are mending and your dad is too.
I remember that I never had any symptoms of anything wrong and then... BAM! "You have cancer"
I am 6 years cancer free after having my bladder and prostate removed. I hope to congratulate your dad in 6 years, as I believe you both made the right decision for him.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

9 years 2 weeks ago #48414 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Dad has doubts on bladder and prostate removal
Congratulations to your whole family, and your dad for his courage.

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 2 weeks ago #48412 by las
Thanks your your post. Sorry I have not replied but I was in an accident with my mom where I had a C1 fracture and have not been able to get on the computer until now. Just to let you know, my dad did meet with the Dr. again and did get his prostate and bladder removed Jan 23.

He went through some complications such as an infection and a hole where there were stitches where he spent more than 10 days in the hospital. However, he is recovering very well. He seems to be adapting to his new life better than we expected. He does state it is weird because he does not feel when he is going but for the most part I don't think he regrets it, especially since the Dr. told him after surgery that he had more cancer in the prostate than the bladder.

I thank everyone for their advice, it was very helpful and I pray that whoever is going through this do their research and be a peace when they make their decision. My dad did wait but when the decision was made he was a peace with it and I believe this is where his healing began. I believe God was a work during this time where my dad kept up his faith, something he has never done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DougG

9 years 2 months ago #48041 by GKLINE
When I had to make this decision..... It was no decision at all.

Get the whole bladder and prostate out of there! Looking back, it was a NO Brainer.

It has been six years for me. I am the guy that continues to golf, ski, and race sports cars. But I am not going underwater with a tank on my back.... so scuba is out.

What has your bladder done for you lately? Other than make your life miserable.
Get it out of there!

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

9 years 2 months ago #48019 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Dad has doubts on bladder and prostate removal
I can understand why he is afraid of radical cystectomy. None of us WANT to do this. However, the alternative is too awful to contemplate. I have not had to make this decision, but have already decided that if it comes to that, my bladder will GO asap,. I know lots of people, and you can meet them on this Forum, who are living full lives without a bladder, even to scuba diving.

Good luck to your dad

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne