My mum has bladder cancer

9 years 5 months ago #47333 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic My mum has bladder cancer
Hi Brogan... Just wanted to say that your avatar photo is adorable. What a beautiful child! Any news for your mum's treatment yet?

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 5 months ago #47320 by Brogibear
Replied by Brogibear on topic My mum has bladder cancer
Thankyou so much for your reply!

Yes so they have said they want to do chemo first before surgery as there is a lymph node inflamed which they want to get down with the chemo (another thing im worried about is what if it dosent get the lymph node down then there is no hope :( ! ) anyway i need to be positove i know.

Do you or anyone know how long the recovery usually is after the op? And how long we should expect her in hospital for?

Yes i really hope her age helps her fight this scary awful disease!

Hope she gets a letter tomorrow

Thanks again
Brogan xx

9 years 5 months ago #47318 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic My mum has bladder cancer
Welcome to our forum. I am so sorry to hear that your mum has been diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer. It's overwhelming news to go from an every day life to hearing that your bladder must be removed. I know it's hard to just breath right now because this diagnosis knocks the air right out of your body. I do hope you hear something very soon as to getting her scheduled to start treatment.

It is generally standard protocol to also do the hysterectomy at the same time for women; and for men, they remove the prostate at the same time as well. Did they say they would do the chemo before her surgery? That has been shown in some studies to improve the outcome later down the road by potentially stopping further spread.

There is no doubt that this is a difficult surgery, but her younger age should work in her favor for recovery time if she is in generally good health otherwise. Support from family is powerful medicine as well, and I can tell that you are there for her in spite of being so scared yourself.

I haven't been through a cystectomy, but there are others here who have and are several years down the road from their surgery. If you have any specific questions about diversions or the procedure, please post them here. If you just need to vent your emotions in a safe, understanding place, we are here for you.

Again, I am so sorry your mum is facing this. Please let us know how her treatment goes and I hope it starts very soon.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

9 years 5 months ago #47317 by Brogibear
My mum has bladder cancer was created by Brogibear
Hi!
I just felt like i needed others to talk to that know what me and my family are going through, so basically my mum aged only 49 has got aggressive bladder cancer she needs chemo, her bladder removed and a hysterectomy! I cant describe how scared an worried i am at the thought of losing her! They told her on monday what needed to happen and said theyd get her in soon but she still hasnt received a letter and its been a week... To me that isnt soon and im panicking that the cancer will be progressing! If anyone else knows any info or anything positve/reassurance it would really help me. Thankyou
Love a very sad daughter brogan

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne