New User

9 years 10 months ago #46326 by gveretvar
Replied by gveretvar on topic New User
Thank you for you support!

We don't know anything yet. I have so many questions and I don't know whom to ask. Should I schedule an appointment with a doctor or a nurse? Can a doctor say that it is a cancer without biopsy?

First docotor who diagnosed my husband was Dr. Robert S. Saffrin M.D. from Advocate Condell Medical Center, Libertyville, IL. We are going to get second opinion at Northwestern Medical Group. Do you know which one is better? The first doctor has suggested to remove bladder. As far as I understand (from internet)it requires to remove prostate. Correct? We want to have a child, would it be possible after the surgery?

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #46325 by gveretvar
Replied by gveretvar on topic New User
Thank you for your response!

First docotor who diagnosed my husband was Dr. Robert S. Saffrin M.D. from Advocate Condell Medical Center, Libertyville, IL. We are going to get second opinion at Northwestern Medical Group. Which one is better? The first doctor has suggested to remove bladder. As far as I understand (from internet)it requires to remove prostate. Correct? We want to have a child, would it be possible after the surgery?

Thank you!

9 years 10 months ago #46324 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New User
You are using this site just fine!!! Sorry you and your husband have to be here, but welcome!!

You are doing all the right things. It is very important for a bladder cancer patient to be treated at a place where expertise in this area is available. Many urologists know a lot about prostates, but not about the latest and best in bladder cancer treatment.

I have no personal knowledge of Dr. James M. Kozlowski, but he has all the credentials I would be looking for...he is at a major academic medical center, Northwestern, and has all the right training and interests....urological cancer surgery. If his personality is a match, you may have a winner.

Do you know the exact diagnosis of your husband's cancer?

Wishing you all the best. Please know that we are here to try and answer any questions you have. Also, there is a wealth of information available on this site.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 10 months ago #46323 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic New User
Where does the doctor practice and what hospital does he do his surgeries? Most that frequent this board encourage second opinions on this type of cancer is often under staged. At the same time you want a URO that sees a lot of bladder/urinary cancer as many see more prostatic so they don't have the experience. This is a treatable but sneaky cancer and if your are near a major teaching hospital etc that is a plus. Sloan/Kettering, John Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, MD Anderson.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

9 years 10 months ago #46322 by gveretvar
New User was created by gveretvar
Hello, I am not sure how to use the site... I have a question. Yesterday, my husbend was diagnosed with bladder cancer. We are going to get a second opinion. Do you know something about Dr. James M. Kozlowski?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne