Plasma Cytoid

10 years 4 months ago #45563 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Plasma Cytoid
Mikky you are right heading to a top place would be very important in this case. There is a short list in the US that are the top for research and bladder cancer such as MD Anderson in TX and John Hopkins in Baltimore to name just two.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #45544 by mikky
Replied by mikky on topic Plasma Cytoid
Have you or a family member received this diagnosis?
Where are you/they being treated?
I would think that you would want to head to somewhere such as the National Cancer.

Smile PlzZZzzz…(Usman Malik)…!!!

10 years 6 months ago #45382 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Plasma Cytoid
I am so sorry to hear your husband's, and your, story.

It is indeed a very rare type of cancer, and doesn't follow the pattern of the more common types of bladder cancer.

The fact that it IS rare is the reason there isn't more research or new treatments available. When a disease has a huge "fan club" (ie, breast cancer)
the squeeky wheel situation applies and that is where most of the money goes.
Bladder cancer is relatively unknown among the "sexy" cancers, in spite of its prevalence. And when you have a really rare form.....

What is needed, in my opinion (If I may please editorialize) is more research into the basic mechanisms. Results of this type of research can lead to applications in many forms of cancer.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Celestel1st, SusieQ71

10 years 6 months ago #45372 by SusieQ71
Replied by SusieQ71 on topic Plasma Cytoid
My husband was diagnosed with this type of bladder cancer in 2008. It is a very rare type and does not have the usual symptoms. He had no blood in his urine, but only felt discomfort when he urinated. After being treated for eight weeks with three different antibiotics for a UTI, the Dr finally did a scope and found a growth. The growth was biopsied and diagnosed as Stage IV cancer. He was referred to Dr Kamal Pohar at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus,OH. He was to have surgery to remove his bladder and have a neobladder constructed. The surgery lasted 14 1/2 hours resulting in both a urostomy and a colostomy because of the extensive spread of the stringy type cancer. He handled the entire situation with dignity and tried to live as normal a life as possible. He underwent six months of Chemotherapy in 2009 and seemed to be doing fine until the fall of 2011 when he began having back pain. After scans, it was determined the cancer had returned. He underwent more Chemo and radiation, but to no avail. He passed in July of 2012. This cancer is very rare, so there are no case studies done on it. My husband's oncologist, Dr Amir Mortazavi, said that he conferred with a Dr at M D Anderson in Houston, TX, about the case soon after his surgery and the Dr there said that my husband would only last three months. We felt blessed that he lived for three and a half years. I guess I wonder why there is not more research done on this type of cancer. Even one person having it should be afforded the same chance of survival.

10 years 6 months ago #45369 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Plasma Cytoid
Well, you certainly came up with a rare one! I am not aware of anyone with this diagnosis. It will be interesting to see if any pop up.

Have you or a family member received this diagnosis? Where are you/they being treated? I would think that you would want to head to somewhere such as the National Cancer Institute ASAP.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

10 years 6 months ago #45366 by SusieQ71
Plasma Cytoid was created by SusieQ71
I would like to communicate with anyone who has or has had a family member diagnosed with this type of bladder cancer.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne