Radiation therapy after radical cystectomy

11 years 1 month ago #44238 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Radiation therapy after radical cystectomy
ammie, Sorry to see you here but welcome. I do not believe we have anyone right now that has had radiation following Radical Cystectomy in the group right now. I however had 40 sessions prior to my Radical Cystectomy. If there is any questions you have about it all please ask and I will do my best to answer if I can.

I am glad you and your husband are part of our group we try to support and be there for each other hope it is of help to your also.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #44237 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Radiation therapy after radical cystectomy
Hello Ammie... Welcome to the forum. So sorry your husband and you have been through this difficult time. I don't have any experience with radiation, so I will have to rely on the input of others for that. I do know several members have had chemotherapy after their RC, but not sure about radiation treatments.

Do you have a copy of your husband's pathology report? A bit more information may help us give you better answers. When his doctor talked about clean margins, do you know where they took the margins, or how many lymph nodes were tested? Where is the doctor suggesting applying the radiation?

You are certainly doing the right thing by searching for information. When is his doctor wanting to start these treatments?

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

11 years 1 month ago #44236 by ammie
My husband had RC surgery for a very rare, nested variant bladder cancer. He's doing really well but apparently even after telling us he got all the cancer and the margins were clean, the surgeon now says there was still cancer in the margins and he needs radiation therapy. Is anyone familiar with radiation therapy after a radical cystectomy?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne