Neulasta- bad reaction?

17 years 1 week ago #4427 by Martha
Replied by Martha on topic Neulasta- bad reaction?
Good luck to you too. I go in on Wednesday to get the results of my latest CT scan. We are hoping everything will be o.k. This is the first scan since the surgery Oct. 18, 2006. Guess I just "assumed" Aranesp/Neulasta were the same. At that point, I wasn't paying enough attention to what they were telling me. Everything was so new to me then.
Best wishes,
Martha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 week ago #4416 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Neulasta- bad reaction?
Martha I started with Gemzar and Cisplatin and made 2 rounds. Three days before I was to get the Cisplatin I broke out in a sever rash and found out I was allergic to the Gemzar. With the Gemzar and the Cisplatin I got no shots. I was to do three cycles of this. So being allergic they switched me to the High Intensity MVAC www.chemocare.com/bio/list_by_acronym.asp?acronym=MVAC and that is one week on which I already did one and one week off. This week I get the chemo and next week off. The only good thing that came out of the Gemzar & Cisplatin they counted it as cycle since the Cisplatin would of ended that first cycle. I get the Neulasta to keep the WBC up during the chemo. I see where Aranesp is the opposite that works to keep the RBC up. Like I said with my Gemzar-Cisplatin there were no shots but I'm sure your oncologist must have a reason for this. Well good luck to you Martha. Joe

17 years 1 week ago #4409 by Martha
Replied by Martha on topic Neulasta- bad reaction?
I was given Aranesp instead of Neulasta. Had a terrible rash and temperature. After that, I had whole blood and platelets. My chemo consisted of Gemzar and Carboplatin.
Martha

17 years 1 week ago #4396 by Mike
Wendy you are correct and I stand to be corrected. I know it's just a drug they use to keep the WBC up during the treatment of my chemo MVAC. I just wasn't thinking right because my brain is on overload these days lol. So thanks for putting my brain molecules back on the right track. But I still would of called my oncologist if I were experiencing any of the symptoms she posted and let him make the decision. Thanks Wendy, Joe :)

17 years 1 week ago #4391 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Neulasta- bad reaction?
Hi Bobby,

I hope you don't mind that I started your thread as its own topic..

Joe, Neulasta isn't a chemo, but a drug to help keep the blood counts healthy enough during chemo.
These types of drugs are notorious for causing pain, feverishness and general, serious malaise. But they make it possible to administer otherwise harmful amounts of chemo without risking neutropenia and serious infection.

Be sure to report any and all side effects right away. Go to the ER if you're having an allergic reaction, but I don't think that is the case here. Call the doctor.

Some product info about side effects:
What are the possible side effects of pegfilgrastim?
• Your spleen may become enlarged and, in rare instances, may rupture while taking pegfilgrastim. The spleen is located in the upper left section of your stomach area. Call your doctor right away if you have pain in your left upper stomach area or left shoulder tip area. This pain could mean your spleen is enlarged or ruptured.
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, seek emergency medical treatment or contact your doctor immediately:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· fever or chills;
· sore throat or congestion;
· redness, pain, or swelling around a wound or sore;
· difficulty breathing or shortness of breath; or
· left upper stomach or shoulder pain.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to use pegfilgrastim and talk to your doctor if you experience:
· muscle, joint, or bone pain;
· fatigue;
· headache;
· weakness;
· dizziness;
· sores in the mouth or throat; or
· nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect pegfilgrastim?
• Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you
· are taking lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid, Lithane, others); or
· are undergoing radiation or chemotherapy.
• You may not be able to use pegfilgrastim or you may require special monitoring if you are taking any of the medications listed above.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with pegfilgrastim. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products.

I hope you feel better soon.
Wendy

17 years 1 week ago #4384 by Mike
Bobby I get neulasta and had no reactions at all. When you have a rash, fever, or any reaction from a chemo drug you should call your oncologist immediately or get over to your nearest ER. I am not saying this to scare you but I got a real bad rash from Gemzar and ended up in ER( per my Oncologist) and got steroids and benedryl. I ended up going off the Gemzar-Cisplatin chemo cause I had an allergic reaction to Gemzar why I am now on the MVAC. Good Luck, Joe

I see you had this Monday and it is now Friday but what I said uptop that is what I was told to do if I felt or noticed anything strange side effect wise. Oncologist are 24/7 and if you are not near like I said they will send you over ER to have Doc there evaluate and then call him back.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne