Urine tests with Neobladder?

11 years 4 months ago #43733 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Urine tests with Neobladder?
Thanks Danielle and Mike! I am somewhat familiar with the neobladder/infection problem, just don't know much about the whole neobladder/protein/kidney thing. Think I need to do a better job making all involved in the testing process more aware of the neobladder issue. I also need to learn more about the kidney testing issue. I think I, like a lot of us do just get tired of focusing on the health issues. Mike, your paragraph about the testing being done by people who understand and are willing to do the work, is absolutely correct! I just need to make that happen in the future.
Thanks Danielle and Mike for your responses.
Duke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #43725 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Urine tests with Neobladder?
Duke,

Good to see you! Glad it helped.

There are abnormal cells with a neobladder because it is made out of intestine and a neobladder will always look like world war three is going on in there. So a urine test will always seem like infection from a blood test. You can't go on that anymore because it is going to be symptom based. I've had a UTI (once) since getting the neobladder and you will know when it happens. Weird feeling, sometimes pain, often change in smell of urine, sometimes fever, etc.

It is still worth getting the urine cytology every year. It is just best to have it done by someone who understands neobladders. There will be atypical cells but they need to do the extra work to figure out if it is cancer or not.

I'm doing great! Thanks for asking! :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 4 months ago #43719 by danielle
Replied by danielle on topic Urine tests with Neobladder?
Our Urologist said it wasn't essential for hubby to have a urine test, as bacteria settles in his ideal conduit and results can't be judged...But maybe with a neo-bladder it will be called for...Possibly if there is an elevated temperature it would be necessary, because that could affect the kidneys...

I'm not sure, so don't take my post as gospel... :unsure:

11 years 4 months ago #43714 by dukel
Urine tests with Neobladder? was created by dukel
Hi everyone, been a while since I checked in. I've been busy doing the classic car thing and I needed a break from the site anyway. Hope everyone is doing okay. Hey Mike, I was checking in with a question on urine sample results, and noticed you recently had a thread on urine cytology after neobladder. It didn't surprise me that you're right there again Mike, just when I need an answer. You always are. Hope you been doing well. I got a letter from my Dr. today and he wants me to see a Nephrology consultant. From what i can tell it has to do with kidney health. With all the chemo I have had over the years my kidneys are not in the best condition, so my family Dr. is always a little concerned. From what I can tell, my last urine sample showed high protein levels. I am thinking this is more then likely do to my sample numbers being strewed because of the neobladder. Anyway, don't see the Nephrology consultant till after New Years, so I wanted to jump on here and get some opinions on the matter. Also wanted to see how everyone is doing, so I will snoop around a little.
Wishing everyone the best!
Duke

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne