Recent radical cystecomy

11 years 5 months ago #43425 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Recent radical cystecomy
Tim,

You will be one of those people doing fine as well. We need you here posting to the others.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 5 months ago #43423 by tmccoy
Replied by tmccoy on topic Recent radical cystecomy
Thanks Mike. I am going to be very careful on lifting as much of what I lift is close to 100lbs. Also with the surgery and liquid diets I have lost strength so it will take time to get my full strength back. I won't see an oncologist for a few more weeks so just waiting to see a Dr. is tough. I look forward to the next treatment and discussing the options with those on this site that has had the chemo!I like your comment that others on this site and are now doing fine.

Tim

11 years 5 months ago #43414 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Recent radical cystecomy
Tim,

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about the lymph nodes. You have the right attitude based on your "it is what it is" statement.

Lymph nodes means chemo. Chemo sucks!
I didn't need chemo so I can't comment much on what that is going to be like.
Glad to hear you know about not lifting. I have had two different surgeries to repair multiple hernias (4 the first time and they stopped counting at 5 the second time when they put some mesh thing in there).

I'm a business consultant and mine came from putting my bag in the overhead bins of airplanes (and helping others with theirs). It does not take much to cause some nasty hernias. From a prone position on my back if I lifted my feet off the ground it looked like that scene from alien! Kind of gross. :) However, it was what it was. Not as bad now (two years later).

Be really careful and check into one of the belt things or something when you do get to start lifting things again.

Hope the chemo goes well. Others here have been through chemo due to lymph node involvement and are now doing fine. You are going to need to stick to your follow up schedule for monitoring even after the chemo because the risk of micro-mets (metastasis that is too small to see right now) is much higher once it gets into the lymph system.

Keep in touch and let us know how it all goes. Your experiences will be here for the next person in your shoes with lymph involvement.

Good luck with the chemo!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 5 months ago #43410 by tmccoy
Replied by tmccoy on topic Recent radical cystecomy
Thanks Catherine. I am following the doctors orders very closely. I would have been very happy for them to have found nothing but it is what it is and as I told Dr. Cookson it could have been worst. Dr. Cookson has made it clear about not lifting especially as I am self employed selling and installing commercial doors and door hardware. I am only doing paper work. All those yearly tax stuff. So it appears I have the holidays off again this year. Last year I had hernia operations. One in June and the other I scheduled for a couple days after Christmas.

Tim

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #43407 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Recent radical cystecomy
Hello and welcome to the forum, even under such difficult circumstances but you are in great company with people who have seen most sides of bladder cancer. Sounds like your surgery went well and you have weathered it remarkably being only ten days out. I'm really sorry about finding cells in the 7 nodes. I haven't had chemo so I can't respond to that part of your question, but I do believe you are in good hands at Vanderbilt. Dr. Cookson is my doctor/surgeon also.

There are quite a few members here who have had chemo who can share their experiences with you. It's generally pretty quiet on Sunday evenings so don't get dismayed if you don't hear from too many others yet. They will be around soon.

One thing I can add is to follow their instructions NOT to lift over 5-10 pounds until they tell you different. You will risk developing incisional hernias later (don't ask how I know). I found that when I overextended myself (like vacuuming even) while I had the catheter in the first couple weeks after surgery, I would see blood in the bag. I think I probably also pulled some stitches lifting my dogs too soon. You may never have a better excuse to take it easy, so take advantage of it!

Best wishes for speedy healing from surgery and getting on with whatever you need to do to rid your body of those nasty BC cells.

Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

11 years 5 months ago #43401 by tmccoy
Recent radical cystecomy was created by tmccoy
I was diagnosed with bladder cancer at the end of August. I am 54yr old healthy male. I had been having the urge to urinate for a couple of months and then in July saw blood in my urine. My urologist sent me to Vanderbilt to see Dr. Michael Cookson and the radical cystecomy was scheduled for 10/11/12. I was able to go home on 10/17/12. I now have a neobladder. The path results showed cancer cells in 7 of the 34 lymph nodes removed. I will have the staples and cath removed on 10/30/12 and will go back to Dr. Cookson in about 6 weeks. I will discuss the chemo options with my urologist on the 30th and Dr. Cookson is setting up an appointment for me with a oncologist at Vanderbilt on my visit back.

So it has been a little over a week since surgery but what can I expect going forward.

Tim

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne