Dad had Radical Cystectomy

11 years 11 months ago #41996 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Dad had Radical Cystectomy
Debi
This is the period where the mine takes over and sends the downer message. The adrenalin is pumping big time during the surgery and immediate early recovery period. Then........ The real work begins and things slow down and the hiccups in recovery begin to weigh on the brain. I would find my emotions on an hourly roller coaster. Little (and BIG) things really wolloped me more than they should.

So, with that said....... Keep your conversations positive. And don't allow him to get too mired in a depression. These challenges he is facing are indeed disheartening; but I know of very few people who have gone through a major sickness that haven't had some kind of setback during recovery.

Keep his eyes on the prize! Family, Friends, Grandchildren, anything that is near and dear to him. THAT'S why he going through this!

Good Luck!

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #41995 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Dad had Radical Cystectomy
Debi,

Actually, that blood clot is a lot worse as a potential threat than the stomach virus. However, dehydration is always something to watch for. Make sure he is getting PLENTY of hydrating fluids (not tea, coffee, beer, or scotch). Those are diuretics.

Be sure he is doing all he should with regard to preventing further issues from the clot as well.

If he doesn't want to go back then he should be motivated to do the things that are the right things to do.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 11 months ago #41994 by DebiLMT
Replied by DebiLMT on topic Dad had Radical Cystectomy
Hi Mark,

Yes his Urologist visited with him while he was in the hospital.

He seemed a little better when I left his house yesterday. When I return today if he is not improved I am going to have to insist that he allow me to take him back to the hospital.

He is stubborn and doesn't want to go back.

Personally I can't imagine anything worse than catching a stomach virus right after a major surgery.

Thank you for your advice,
Debi

11 years 11 months ago #41993 by upnorth
Replied by upnorth on topic Dad had Radical Cystectomy
Debi,

I am sorry to hear that your father is still doing poorly. Have you called your father's urologist/oncologist to let him know what is going on? He may need to know about this due to the fact that it might cause problems with the surgery that has been done.

I don't know this for sure but I think they should know what is going on.

Hope he feels better soon.

Mark

Age 55
Diagnosed BC 12/20/2011 Ta No Mo 0a Non-Invasive At age 48
"Please don't cry because it is over..... Smile because it happened!" {Dr. Seuss} :)

11 years 11 months ago #41992 by DebiLMT
Replied by DebiLMT on topic Dad had Radical Cystectomy
Mike,

Thank you so much for replying. What I was thinking was sadness was actually the beginning of him getting very sick. He was unable to keep any fluids in his body with some sort of stomach virus and became severely dehydrated.

I took him to the ER and they admitted him and kept him overnight to rehydrate him. He is back home now but not really feeling very good yet.

Debi

11 years 11 months ago #41979 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Dad had Radical Cystectomy
Glad his surgery went well.

Blood clots including DVT are a risk factor in surgery such as this. Is he walking regularly, wearing the tight socks (graduated compression stockings). The clot can be very dangerous. The blood thinners are very important.

Sometimes depression after a major surgery and after major stress can happen. Your dad should speak with the doc about what is going on and how he feels. It could be kind of anticlimactic but it could be "oh for crying out loud, what's next?"

It is important for the doctors to know about all of his symptoms.

Wish I had more helpful information but that's all I've got.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne