Baking Soda before Mitomycin installation

11 years 11 months ago #41867 by HLamb88937
Replied by HLamb88937 on topic Baking Soda before Mitomycin installation
I had my instillation at 3:PM. Did not drink anything past 12:00 AM for a total of 15 hours. At 12:00 Am I had 6 oz. of water with a level teaspoon of Baking Soda. Then I made a paste with about 1/4 teaspoon of water 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. I took one of those in the morning and one 1/2 hour before the procedure. The paste was eaten with a little spoon. I hope that answered the question. But my question is ... is anyone having a problem getting mitomyicin as the manufacturer has stop producing it due to government price ceilings on the sale price?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #41865 by Nordicat
Replied by Nordicat on topic Baking Soda before Mitomycin installation
How much water did you drink with the 3 doses of soda?

11 years 11 months ago #41864 by HLamb88937
Nordicat. When I did the BCG I had more than 8 Cancer in Situ tumors plus a large benign mass. After the second instillation all hell broke loose in my bladder. You would not beleive the variety of objects that came out. Blood would always be present at the last bit of urine. In any event every test and biopsy showed no more cancer after 6 instillations. I alway kept my ph above 7 while on BCG. I saw that you said that the mitomyicin had no affect on you and you were wondering if it worked. Well my uro and I used the new protocol of 4mg rather than 2mg and the use of baking soda to raise the PH. plus the dehydration. Wow!!! Its more than 24 hours since that instillation but all hell broke loose again with all kinds of things flying out while I urinated. I am O.K. now, but for that first 12 hours I could not hold much urine and needed three oxicodones to relieve the pain. Let us know how yours is working. On a separate note, it seems the U.S.A. is out of mitomyicin because the company refused to produce more after a ceiling was placed on the price several years ago. My doctor could not find any. I found mine as the last lot held by Cigna Insurance Pharmacy. Is anyone else having problems finding Mitomyicin?

12 years 40 minutes ago #41863 by Nordicat
Now I understand that it's 1 tsp, 1/2 tsp and 1/2 tsp. But...now much water with each?

12 years 56 minutes ago #41862 by Nordicat
I am reposting my response/question here. I think it was first put in the wrong place.
HLamb88937:
I have been wondering about my Mitomycin treatments. I've had two so far (will have 8 in total) with only a bad taste in my mouth and fatigue for a day or two after. Nothing at all uncomfortable or different in how my bladder itself feels. No urgency, no burning. It's like it's not working. I thought I'd at least feel something. It's too bad that you're having such a rough reaction. I'm sure it's miserable.

Question.....when you take your baking soda before your treatment, how much water do you use? And is it 1 teaspoon of soda each time? I don't want a lot of water so that my body starts making urine when I need it to be in a dehydrated state. I can't find that info anywhere.....how much soda in how much water. Did you check your urine ph or did the doctor?

12 years 1 hour ago #41859 by HLamb88937
The new protocol is dehydrate the night before so as to have
as little urine as possible. Then a teaspoon of baking soda the night befor then 1/2 teaspoon the morning before and finally 1/2 teaspoon 1/2 hour before. Acidic urine neutalizes the mitomyicin. I went over this in quite a lot of detail with my uro. My PH was 8.5 when I received my instillation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne