Should I be Scared?

12 years 1 month ago #41152 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Should I be Scared?
Also I seem to remember advice in other threads that it is good to chew gum as soon as you are able/allowed as it tends to stimulate the bowels as they begin to awaken.

Those of you more in the know, is that still good info???

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #41137 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Should I be Scared?
Well then John, you my friend are set!

So funny you brought up Subic. I stayed there for some weekends when I was working in Manila. I was running a software company over there for a couple of years. Did a lot of diving in Subic Bay. Great diving for both wildlife and WWII wrecks.

I learnt Australia whilst living in Sydney in late 90s/early 2000s. :)

So on day two when you are feeling like a train hit you and laying in the bed looking at the ceiling thinking "No way am I going to get up and walk!", you just think of those Aussies and of us and laugh a bit (not too much because that will hurt) and then get your butt out of bed and walk anyway! :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 1 month ago #41136 by john14108
Replied by john14108 on topic Should I be Scared?
Mike, my Doc has done a couple hundred of these and teaches it at the Universiry of Buffalo med school so I have faith in him. Now for the Aussie language. I was hoisting a few with them celebrating the Marine Corps birthday at Subic Bay in the Phillipines in 1960. One of them kept saying "I'm really getting pissed". I kept asking why he was getting upset until we figured out that Aussie pissed = American drunk, lol. Ill keep you guys posted on everything from a laptop once I feel up to it.

John

12 years 1 month ago #41134 by mmc
John,

I had open surgery. I asked my surgeon about it and he recommended open. If your surgeon has done tons of these with the robot then by all means do it that way. If not, do it the way your surgeon is most comfortable. A little longer recovery time is better than a surgery that doesn't go as well.

Keep in mind that my surgery was three years ago. My surgeon felt the jury was still out on the da Vinci robot for this particular surgery. Some hospitals put pressure on doctors to use it because it is a huge investment. At the same time, it is the latest technology and is less intrusive/invasive/traumatic on the body. The real key is how much experience does your particular surgeon have with using it.

Don't wait until you are "thru all this" to be posting. We want to know how you are recovering, if you are walking like we told you, etc. Get somebody to login and keep us informed on your recovery. We will all be cheering for you. I was going to say rooting for you but I know all the Australians would start giggling to themselves as they have a different meaning for the word. :) (Those crazy Aussies!) :D

Mike

Age 54

12 years 1 month ago #41132 by john14108
Replied by john14108 on topic Should I be Scared?
This is mainly a question for Mike. I'm having my surgery performed robot assisted. They say that the incisions are greatly reduced and the recovery time is reduced by 50%. I was wondering if your surgery was done in that manner? I'm down to less than 48 hours to be free from this beast but the questions just keep popping up. Again, what a wonderful site this is and thanks to all that contribute. Once I get thru all this I promise to keep coming back and hopefully add to the site.

John

12 years 2 months ago #41108 by mmc
John

I had the bleeding thing come back which is how we knew it had come back.
For me it was happening randomly for the month prior to my surgery.

If you had any doubts about getting the bladder removed, this current bout with bleeding should help you realize that getting rid of the cranky thing is the right thing to do.

Good luck next week. You will be in our thoughts. When you think of us, get up and walk! :)

Mike

Age 54

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne