Possible neo-bladder problem

12 years 1 month ago #41096 by rpaolini
Replied by rpaolini on topic Possible neo-bladder problem
Thanks for the reference to the Cleveland Clinic website. I didn't know about the Indiana Pouch Reservoir.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #41087 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Possible neo-bladder problem
John..... What they said!
I am sure you will curse our names as you recover from this surgery early on......... But then..... You will feel so much better and walking will be your new best friend.
I stood next to the bed the day after surgery and walked about 20 yards. The next day I walked around the hall square once each hour. I kept at it for 5 days and got off the pain meds (they stop you up) after 3 days.
During this time I tried and tried and tried to "Go" No Luck! No food at all... just water. Finally after 5 days of "no Go" I decided I should at least Look like a human being. I went to the bathroom to shave and comb my hair. Went back to bed. The nurse came in and looked at the mess on the bathroom floor and said "Looks like you will be going home soon George." Without trying, my intestines woke up....... Right there on the bathroom floor..... never even knew it!

Oh the stories you will be able to tell. What will make it better is...... you will be cancer free!

Best of luck..... We're thinking of you.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 1 month ago #41085 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Possible neo-bladder problem
John, glad you are cleared for surgery. I was scared to death also! I was great the first three days till I stopped my pain meds. Then that truck that Mike talked about hit me head on.
For me the pain was bad but not as bad as worrying about getting my digestive track working again. I always have a problem in that area, so it's a lot to worry about and most places won't release you till it's working. That is why I got off meds so soon. Drink all you can and walk all you can. One thing I found great when i got home was my wife got me a foam
wedge to lay down on. Makes getting up and down a lot easier. We will all be pulling for you.
Duke

12 years 2 months ago #41054 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic Possible neo-bladder problem
Mike is absolutely right about getting up and walking. You really do feel like you have been hit by a truck but believe me is you don't walk you will pay for it later. I had a lot of complications and couldn't walk so therefore when I finally got out I had to have Pt for about 3 weeks after getting home. Best of luck and my prayers are with you. You can do it, we all did.
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

12 years 2 months ago #41053 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Possible neo-bladder problem
John,

Glad to hear you got the final go ahead on surgery. I think all of us who have had the surgery know what you mean about mixed emotions. It is a VERY tough surgery to recover from.

You will not want to walk at all. You will want to just stay in bed and push the pain medicine pump. HOWEVER, you must get up and walk. It is the thing that gets you better fastest. Also, chew gum after surgery but don't swallow it. Both of these things wake the intestines up and that is critical to recovery. Have someone come to the hospital to help you walk and to make you walk. Even walking in place next to the bed is a good start. The day after surgery you need to be up.

After that, at least 3 times a day and then 6 times a day after a couple of days. That's at least! Your doctor should explain it to you. Ask him about it. Also, a key is the surgical nursing staff. Be nice to those people. You want and need their help.

The couple days after surgery are going to feel like a Mack truck hit you and then backed over you and did it again. Walking, even though it will feel like you do not have any energy to do so will do wonders. The longer you delay walking, the longer it will take for you to recover enough to get out of the hospital.

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

12 years 2 months ago #41052 by john14108
Replied by john14108 on topic Possible neo-bladder problem
OK!! I did my final pre-op work yesterday at the Roswell Cancer Institute and I'm cleared for my surgery on the 27th. It's now time to deal with the reality and mixed emotions with this whole process.

On one hand, I'm thrilled that I'm finally going to get this beast removed. On the other hand, I'm scared to death over the surgery itself. I've been a believer in prayer all my life, I've seen it work for others in my family, wife with severe stroke and son in law with brain cancer. I guess now it's time to see if it works for me.

I've always been a "the glass is 1/2 full" guy so I'll just go into this with my normal attitude and pray for the best outcome.

Thanks and kudos to everyone that contributes to this site, it sure has helped me since I found it.

John

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne