Bladder continues to be inflamed 8 weeks after BCG

12 years 6 months ago #39311 by bmarch
Thanks Pat, this is important information for us to have.
Barbara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #39307 by Patricia
Thanks for the explanation of CIS which is always high grade. You're out in territory where my brother lives......I would suggest Dr. Peter Carroll at UCSF
www.ucsfhealth.org/cgi-bin/expertDetail.cgi?doctorid=158
Its pretty mainstream now to get a second opinion when any cancer is involved but especially with bladder cancer as it is often understaged. Dr. Carroll would be a great second opinion especially since a perforation occured with a high grade cancer.
pat

12 years 6 months ago #39304 by bmarch
My husband's cancer was classified as CIS, high grade. We'll pick up the pathology report. BCG was started five weeks after the biopsy and perforation. The uro did a bladder x-ray before he started BCG to make sure it was healed, no leaks. We're in northeastern California, a long way from anywhere, but I would guess that the closest Cancer Hospital is probably in Davis, Ca or San Francisco or Stanford. Thanks for your help.

Barbara

12 years 6 months ago #39301 by Patricia
I noticed that you posted in Invasive category in which case BCG is not even an option as it has already reached the muscle. Have you seen the pathology report? If not pick it up from the hospital where he had his TURB ..just sign for it. its yours.
Secondly if the uro perforated his bladder and then gave BCG that would be disasterous as it then becomes systemic.
I would suggest you get another urologist preferable at a major Cancer Hospital or University or Urological center. Tell us where you are and we can guide you.
This is one of the best guides i've found to BCG intravesical side effects
www.rxlist.com/theracys-drug.htm
pat

12 years 6 months ago #39300 by sara.anne
There are many summaries of the potential side effects of BCG online. This is a pretty concise one:
www.medhelp.org/posts/Urology/BCG-Side-Effects/show/913130
Remember, that all possible side effects are listed and very few patients get most of them. But, in rare cases, they can be serious. You should check with his urologist right away and describe the symptoms.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

12 years 6 months ago #39299 by bmarch
Can you tell me a little more about these potential side effects? And how they should be dealt with? The uro is good, but a little casual at this stage of the game.

Thanks Sara Anne and everyone.
Barbara

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne