Re:adenocarcinoma

3 years 6 months ago #59894 by ckfun
Replied by ckfun on topic Re:adenocarcinoma
My husband had his surgery on August 27 and we still have not heard the results from the pathology report from Moffitt. He ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks.
When they discharged him last week, he had a blood clot in his lung and pneumonia. He came home with a catheter.
He is now on blood thinners for the clot and antibiotics. The catheter was finally removed by our local urrologist 2 days ago.
I am calling Moffitt on Monday and requesting a post-op meeting ASAP to hear results from all tests/scans etc.
It is absurd to wait this long to hear results.
I still believe they have not told us anything due to all of the multiple complications.
I can assume the lymph nodes were invaded. I am a realist.
The hardest part of this is the fact the Moffitt will not allow me to be with my husband when he has this meeting.
Due to COVID no one is allowed in person...only by ZOOM. Seems odd since they allow 1 visitor to the hospital from 11 AM- 6 PM every day.
Taking everything day to day.
Thank you to all.
~carol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #59813 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Re:adenocarcinoma
Carol,

We are here to listen! Hopefully, the worst is past and the trajectory should be up...albeit slowly. Give yourself a pat on the back. Some of the hardest parts of a major surgery fall on the caregiver.
It is one day at a time. and COVID makes it doubly tough

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 6 months ago #59812 by ckfun
Thank you!

I hope you are right about the path report...clean lymph nodes would be a really positive outcome.

The Visual NG tube seems to be working..
Tomorrow they will clamp it shut and feed him some broth. If that goes well after a few more clear liquids,
they may take it out.
Dr. Sexton want hims 100% before he is discharged. A good thing.
I have been extremely impressed with the staff at Moffitt. Top notch and caring.
I would highly recommend to anyone.

Thank you again.

3 years 6 months ago #59810 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Re:adenocarcinoma
Sorry to hear that the surgery wasn't as smooth as it might have been. This isn't easy surgery! I don't think the lack of information has anything to do with your husband's condition. Sometimes it takes a week to 10 days before the path results are available. Meanwhile, we will keep our fingers crossed!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 6 months ago #59800 by ckfun
Good Morning,
Well, it is now over a week and my husband is still in the hospital at Moffitt.
He has had serious gas issues due to a hiatal hernia in his stomach. It is affecting his lungs so he is on oxygen.
The first attempt to insert an NG Tube was unsuccessful..the herina was blocking the tube.
Late yesterday, they used a visual NG tube and inserted it into his stomach. It might take 2 days to see if it works.
He has not had any real food in over a week.

We still have not received the path report.
I suspect if the news had been good they would have told him already.
I think they are waiting for his situation to improve to tell him less than positive news about the lymph nodes.
Since 1 lymph node close to his bladder was cancerous, the odds are against him.
I do not see any chemo/immunotherapy treatments for this situation and type of tumor post-op.

Sorry...I know I do not sound positive, but I am a realist.
He is depressed...as could be expected.
The no visitors policy has added to this.
GLTA
~carol

3 years 7 months ago #59771 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Re:adenocarcinoma
I was thinking of you yesterday. That’s good news about the clean margins. Hoping for an encouraging path report and that they can offer a treatment plan going forward. Take care. ❤️

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne