Re:adenocarcinoma

3 years 7 months ago #59735 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Re:adenocarcinoma
Not to cause concern, I had the catheter a bit longer because the hospital was 300 miles away and they wanted to make sure all would be healed when I returned. They had said expect 3 weeks and my follow-up was a bit past that. I think catheters are more uncomfortable for men. I remember reading here somewhere advice about lubricating the tubing where it goes in to prevent sticking and pulling. And that’s all I know about that.? He will get through this and you will be a big part of that. Stay strong. ?

Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59734 by ckfun
Replied by ckfun on topic Re:adenocarcinoma
Hi, Catherine,
Thank you for your reply.
A partial seemed to be the best option for him...quality vs. quantity of life. Better recovery time, too.
He was told the catheter will be in for at least 2 weeks while the bladder heals. It will be a challenge for him.
After the biopsy, he was complaining about the catheter after 2 days.... ;-) I will be reminding him that he has a bladder vs. the alternative.
My biggest concern with the RC approach was the urinary diversion pouch. He would not have done well mentally or physically.
Thank you again..
~carol

3 years 7 months ago #59733 by CatherineH
That is very encouraging news. A partial, although still a serious surgery, is definitely not as difficult a recovery as an RC. I hope you are both relieved to be going forward with this option. I had a catheter for almost a month while my bladder healed. It was an adjustment and an inconvenience, but I was grateful to have it because it also meant I still had my bladder. I wish him the best possible outcome, and I am so sorry you cannot be by his side in the hospital. He is at a great facility and I feel sure he will be well cared for. Please let us know how things go. Thinking of you both...

Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Nashville, TN

3 years 7 months ago #59731 by ckfun
Hello,
I took my husband to Moffit this week for a consult with Dr. Wade Sexton. We discussed treatment options.
He has an adenocarcinoma that originated in the bladder. No other major organs are affected based on the
PET scan. From what Sexton said, it is not urachal adenocarcinoma (Hard to hear the conversation on a cellphone)
Sexton will do a partial cystectomy this Thursday. He will also remove surrounding lymph nodes to see if they are cancerous. If they are, the next step is uncertain. No visitors are allowed at Moffit due to COVID, so that makes things tougher on my husband..It is understandable, however.
According to MD Anderson and other online research, this type of tumor does not respond well to chemo/radiation etc.
Hoping for the best, but also being a realist.

Be well and safe..
~carol

3 years 7 months ago #59707 by ckfun
Thank you so much. I am praying for clean margins and no lymph node involvement for him I know that is a big order given the tumor size and the invaded muscle.
I have been researching partial cystectomies and the published articles by Dr. Arlene Siefker-Radtke at MD Anderson. She seems to be the expert on Urachal Adenocarcinoma.
There was a recent Phase 2 clinical trial of 5-fluorouracil, leucovorin, gemcitabine and cisplatin for metastacized cases. Unfortunately, the Pase 2 closed at the iend of July 2020 and the results are not available yet.
Best of luck with your sister. I am sure you are giving her comfort.
Are there any clinical trials that could be pertinent to her ovarian cancer?
Thank you again for your thoughts.
Carol

3 years 7 months ago #59705 by CatherineH
Carol... thinking of you as you go to your husband’s appointment on Tuesday. Sending wishes for the best possible outcome.

Catherine

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Nashville, TN

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne