Post Op complications

17 years 1 month ago #4240 by JLake
Replied by JLake on topic Post Op complications
Continued...:

My husband still has his suprapubic catheter and his foley catheter. As soon as they get his Gi tract working regularly and are fairly confident his partial blockage has resolved they will begin the bladder training.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago #4239 by JLake
:)
hUSBAND IS DOING BETTER NOW... THE FULL LIQUID DIET HELPED . tHEY PULLED HIM OFF OF iV NUTRITION AGAIN AND HE IS KEEPING EVERYTHING DOWN.
tHEY TOOK OUT THE OTHER 3 ABDOMINAL RETENTION SUTURES .

17 years 1 month ago #4185 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Post Op complications
Is you husband being given phenergan for his nausea? I also had periodic nausea which they treated very quickly with the phenergan. All of the food they gave me had a strange metallic taste probably due to the meds i was on. My appetite and nausea subsided when i got off the pain meds.
Also curious about the abdominal strap? Thats a new one for me?
Where do they think this "mechanical obstruction" is? And what does that exactly mean?
When he is throwing up...is it the food he has eaten or is there also bile in it....it would look a bit like as in the exorcist....very pea green. Pat

17 years 1 month ago #4180 by JLake
Updating........... :-? :-/

Post op days 34/26
The neobladder and cystectomy was done on February 1st- the repair of herniated iinternal incision was on february 9
He had started to pass gas and have diarrhea on 2/24 finally- they took out his NG tube and started to advance his diet and he did get to a regular diet, but he kept getting nauseous and threw up at least 1 x every day. Bowel sounds were good and are good.
When i went to visit my husband tonight they told me that they were putting him back on IV nutrition and pulled him back to a full liquids diet because he keeps throwing up. Things are still moving through, but they are fearing the partial blockage they are seeing is the culprit. They did take out one of the huge abdominal straps because his open abdominal incision is healing

17 years 1 month ago #4029 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Post Op complications
What "exactly" does he mean by a slight mechanical obstruction?
I had a major obstruction l0 days after my initial surgery..part of my small intestine got trapped under my ureter. That required a second surgery.
Since it will take about 8 weeks for his open wound to heal itself that he presently has I think i'd get some answers from the doctor about the slight mechanical obstruction. Pat

17 years 1 month ago #4027 by mikmckna
Replied by mikmckna on topic Post Op complications
J,
Sorry to hear about your husbands challenges. Guess this is not something others have faced but do not be afraid to have a sit down with the surgeon. I have had other issues and sitting down with my Dr. and scans or x-rays helped me understand what is happening and what we would be looking for as positives and things to look for that would require action.

Believe in yourself,
Mike
T1-G3, CIS
RC w/ Neobladder 8/22/06

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne