It\'s been a while Need pros & cons of diversions

13 years 1 week ago #36853 by karenb
Been quite a while since I've posted here. I orignally went with BCG treatments, but that didn't work. It was then determined after additional Turbt that my bladder cancer was now small cell.
Just finished 4 rounds of chemo- carboplatin & etoposide. No real side effects, just hair loss and fatigue & bone pain by the end of each week, but ibuprofen and extra naps fixed that by about 2 days later. ct scans after 3rd wk all look good.
Scheduled for R/C on 3/24. Just met with my Dr this morning. When this journey began, I questioned him on his experience with R/C, but stupid me didn't ask about his experience with each type of diversion. Points for Dr., he was very honest with me. He has only done 5 or 6 IPs. He usually does IC, but gave me names of 2 drs to see if I really want the IP. Been thinking all along that if r/c was going to happen, I wanted IP.
If possible, please list what you feel are the pros and cons of the IC and IP. Even if you're happy with the one you have, I'm sure there are still some downsides to each diversion. Trying to decide if I should postpone surgery for a couple weeks to see about having one of the other docs do surgery and hope for the IP. My doc said he'll get all my info, tests, scans etc to whichever doc I want. And it wouldn't hurt to wait a couple weeks.
Thanks for any and all input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne