dr appt in chicago for pouch soreness

13 years 2 months ago #35809 by mamatrausch
Replied by mamatrausch on topic dr appt in chicago for pouch soreness
Good story Sara Anne Sorry to vent but I was having a bad day!! I think My doctor Dr. Steinberg is a brilliant surgeon !!!! I really like him very much I just find it hard to get answers to the infections(UTI) that keep popping up. We WILL get the answers to all of this!!!!
****Well as Im writing this Dr. Steinberg has just returned my email and is putting me on bactrim daily. Maybe the answer???

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #35808 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic dr appt in chicago for pouch soreness
Unfortunately, doctors are human too. Is this his usual pattern or was it out of character? If it is his usual pattern, I would probably stop him and say (politely?) "hey, wait a minute here..."and express my feelings.

A number of years ago my husband went to his internist...whom he had liked on one or two previous visits...and the guy was abrupt and cold and unresponsive to questions. We found out a few days later that he had lost a newborn son that week. That IS an excuse, but a pattern of abrupt unsympathetic behavior is not.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 2 months ago #35793 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic dr appt in chicago for pouch soreness
So sorry your appointment was so frustrating, especially having to travel so far to get there in very bad weather. My gyno told me I should be careful about doing sit ups in the lower ab area, but crunches should be OK. I think walking probably helps most overall, especially in the beginning.

Too bad your "vacation" hasn't been more fun. I can't believe he could not have been more tactful and just a little bit empathetic. I really hope your soreness issues get resolved very soon.

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

13 years 2 months ago #35778 by mamatrausch
dr appt in chicago for pouch soreness was created by mamatrausch
wow! Well I saw a great fellow who spent time answering all my questions and concerns
1. what about the soreness and pulling in pouch area?
answer- "Probably inflammation since bacrtim helps so much"
He wants me to try to stay off antibiotics (there the ones putting me on them!!!)"just try motrin or advil daily see if improves"

2. Pain in my lower back kidney area
"Keep an eye on it and empty(cath every 2 hrs) and see if this relieves the pain dont overstretch the pouch right now
If this reduces the pain we would think reflux and investigate further"
"
3. constipation
"Try milk of magnesia or miralax will have to try high fiber then maybe low fiber(residue) which ever one works for you."

Then I saw my Dr.S
What about soreness and pulling in pouch?
"Loose weight." (i said I lost 30 pounds) "Loose 30 more!!"
"Vacation is over start exercising sit- ups (what vacation having an RC?)"

2. Pain in my lower back kidney area
"Nothing is wrong with your kidneys! "(not even a look)
I said your fellow said to cath every 2 hrs
"Dont do that, cath every 3-4 hr stretch the pouch"

I didnt go any further just wanted to go home!! in yet again another chicago snow storm 6 1/2 hrs round trip

Boy I am frustrated but realize I may need to find someone else who can help me.

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne