28 Days Since Surgery Little Victories Day by Day

13 years 6 months ago #34331 by Herb
The Big Victories were making it through surgery, surviving C-Diff, A fib and 'Hospital Pychosis'. Now Day by Day the victories are little but important ones: finally being able to get my sleep time reversed back to night time; being able to keep eating something everyday even though anti-botics and oral suspensions sure make everything taste less than appetizing; walking to mailbox that is at the end of my streetand and lastly getting urostomy pouch to last more than 2 days!
I was amazed how few medical people really have much experience with urostomy appliances --- wound nurses at hospital obviously had the knowledge but they never got one to last beyond 48 hours. Wife and I are working on 4th day which means time to change not because of leak but because it is recommended not to go beyond 4 days. I have talked with my Primary Care Physcian in our little town of Ruidoso (happens to be my brother-in-law) and told him I thought we eventually should set up local network for urostomies centered on appliances so share the small things one learns with trial and error, so other might be able to skip this annoying step.
Next week I go back to surgeon and also Heart Institute to make sure all is functionings as it should. I will end by saying 99% of people I have met on this difficult journey have been great folks who give sincere credit to the medical profession and I thank them for the human service. Off to Mailbox --- Herb

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne