28 Days Since Surgery Little Victories Day by Day

13 years 5 months ago #34441 by Herb
Another little victory --- I just swallowed the last 'grey-purple' 'big-boy' anti-biotic --- yahoo --- that means no more of the accompanying yucky 'suspension'. Thirty-six days since surgery and I am plugging along. Last two pouches lasted the 4 days so I think we got the right one --- had to use one with convex opening but does fine and the skin is really okay --- I think we were fortunate --- but I do remember the discouragement when trying to find the right fit --- but again, just keep heading towards the little goals you can set up and when the accomplishment comes --- a grateful heart immediately follows.

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #34439 by GKLINE
Herb, You are doing GREAT! There are Challenges for you, that is a given. You sound as though you are meeting them head on and with great attitude. It sounds as though you are getting a little extra help from on high. If this is the case, keep on doing what you are doing.

Please keep on posting. We are reading and Cheering your every victory. Even the small ones!

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

13 years 5 months ago #34377 by DougG
Herb, I have a friend who shares with me her "Silent Victories" -- the kind of victories that aren't really noticed -- any victory is important! Sounds like making it to the mailbox was a big victory. Congrats and best wishes for many more victories.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

13 years 5 months ago #34375 by Herb
Your Dad is the neat kind of positive example some of new 'bagmen' need to hear about, thanks for sharing. I am patiently waiting for next week to end where all the antibotics will end along with the suspensions used to keep digestive track in synch. Tahnks for website will put in favorites and get there.

Age 72 had radical 9/11/10 have conduit everything is fine, grateful to be a cancer survivor. Lost Dad and Brother to Cancer both in their 50's.

13 years 5 months ago #34369 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic 28 Days Since Surgery Little Victories Day by Day
Glad the little victories are taking place for you. Recovery takes time and effort. Sounds like you are on the right track.

My 84-year-old Dad changes his appliance twice a week in order to avoid infection. He makes sure that his skin around his stoma is oil free and clean-shaven and completely dry after showering before he changes. I know what you mean about the medical community not knowing much about ostomy management. I can't tell you how many nurses have said to my Dad, "Oh, how long have you had your colostomy?" It is as if they've never heard of urostomy. Whenever he has been hospitalized, he is pretty much on his own for changing his appliance and hooking up to a night bottle. He brings his own supplies, etc.

There is a great website at www.uoaa.org where you can register for free and post questions. There are people there with all different types of ostomies. If you need help with something, post and someone with lots of experience can help you out.

Hope you continue on the healing path. Keep up the good work!

13 years 5 months ago #34333 by mmc
Herb,

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!
Celebrate all milestones!!!!

Today is my 2 year anniversary of my neobladder. Cancer free.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne