Ileal Conduit question

13 years 7 months ago #33947 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Ileal Conduit question
I was trying to remember how long i had those J tubes..one came out quicker than the other but the one on the left side kept on draining...it was probably in 15 days and i remember that because i went to my local uro..doh...to have it removed 9 days after i was home as it finally got down to the level of cc's that they said it was ok to come out...and thats when local uro yanked on said tube and snapped my ureter to trap my ileum ...kind of hard to forgot those things as back to Cleveland for second surgery. My first clue should have been when the uro looked at all my tubes and got a horrified look on his face and said "I don't know what any of these are"...Now wouldn't you think i would have run out of that place?? ME ? Nope...stupid me. He called my surgeon in Cleveland who gave him a crash course in removing it...apparently his hearing isn't so good either!......OH well i made it.....Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #33946 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Ileal Conduit question
Word is that he had two JP drains and once they were removed it was big time drainage from the penis. They see the doc on Monday and I think they plan to raise this as an issue, get cultures, and maybe an ultrasound or something to check this out. Four weeks out just seems like a long time to have drainage that significant.

I think it may be time to suggest they push hard for answers on this situation now.

Interesting about that fistula idea. Thanks for doing all of that searching Pat!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33945 by Patricia
well i've been searching for a few days now and found this one case..apparently it doesn't happen often. This from Mt. Sinai
tinyurl.com/33zwqp3
"Despite ileal conduit diversion for urinary incontinence, an adolescent male with meningomyelocele continued to void per urethram postoperatively. Urologic investigation disclosed spontaneous fistulization from a ureteroileal anastomosis to a ligated ureteral stump, with resultant urinary drainage to the bladder. This unusual complication of ileal conduit diversion has not been reported previously. More attention should be directed to securing a watertight ureteroileal anastomosis. A careful single layer anastomosis is recommended to minimize urinary leakage without increasing the risks of stenosis and obstruction"
fistula?
Pat

13 years 7 months ago #33942 by SandyMc
Replied by SandyMc on topic Ileal Conduit question
Hi, Mike!

I had this surgery 3 years ago and can tell you this type of drainage is definitely not normal. Your friend should see his Dr. to find out the cause because it could be the sign of an infection or a leak from sutures - neither of which would be good. No such thing as "just drainage" at this stage - certainly not 3 depends worth!

13 years 7 months ago #33941 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Ileal Conduit question
Pat,

Do you think this would warrant getting cultured or do you figure it's just drainage? It sounded like a lot to me but I don't have anything to base it on.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 7 months ago #33940 by Patricia
Did they place any J tubes after the surgery to catch the extra fluids we all produce after this surgery? If not thats probably whats happening?? I sure would report 3 depends worth a day...not normal.
pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne