Invasive Bladder Cancer

13 years 9 months ago #32571 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Invasive Bladder Cancer
Cynthia, You mentioned taking along a list of questions for the doctor. Have we a recommended list of questions on site? If not I would like to see people's recommendations for essential questions to ask. Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #32565 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Invasive Bladder Cancer
Yes, further up in the thread, Cynthia mentioned that this landed here by mistake from the blog section. It is supposed to automaticlaly go to the right section but it did not.

She's planning on moving it to the correct section of the forum.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 9 months ago #32563 by SandyMc
Replied by SandyMc on topic Invasive Bladder Cancer
Am I missing something??? How did this thread get posted under "Metastatic Bladder Cancer"?

13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #32562 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Invasive Bladder Cancer
It appears that the American Cancer Society agrees with you:

As you can see from the quote, it is clear that there are different ways the terms are used. One being to specificy if it is muscle invasive or not and the other being anything beyond the topmost layer.

eMedicine agrees with me:

It is a very good point that you raise though as doctor's and different web sites also refer to it differently. Some are very specific about only referring to "non-muscle-invasive" or "muscle invasive". People should be specific when speaking with their urologists to understand the exact stage beyond using the word invasive.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 9 months ago #32561 by Hox
Replied by Hox on topic Invasive Bladder Cancer
I don't know about other people but in my case the use of invasive and non-invasive referred to the nature of the tumor which was at least as important in my decision making process as the depth of the tumor. Rick

Rick

13 years 9 months ago #32554 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Invasive Bladder Cancer
T1 is a hard diagnosis due to the fact it startles the fence between non invasive and invasive bladder cancer. If your pathology shows T0, T2, T3 your treatment options are often much clearer. With an originating diagnosis of T1 bladder cancer the choice of treatment or surgery is often given and the right choice potentially can be determined only in hindsight.

I do think the term superficial bladder cancer should ever be used as it may tend to trivialize the diagnosis, for lack of a better term we use non invasive. But whatever it is called the key to long term survival is close surveillance and proper timely treatment.

I plan to move this to the non invasive section later today. We have had a technical problem that we thought was worked out with where things are posting to the forum when brought in from other areas of the site using the discuss button. I will be meeting with our web master today and wish to leave this in place so we can tweak our software setting to make sure it posts to the proper place from now on.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne