Incontinence for noobs

13 years 10 months ago #31997 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Incontinence for noobs
Chris,

I used the Depends pads in regular underwear during the day and then Depends underwear by night as well. During the day I was getting mostly continent after about 6 weeks with just a little leakage. I travel a lot for business so I just had to pack a bunch of the pads but only needed to change it once during the day if at all.

While the mucous is an issue while you have the catheter in, it is not such a big deal once it is out. You will pass the mucous when you urinate. The little hole in the foley is not as big as your urethra and also is not as flexible. So you shouldn't need to drink gallons and gallons of fluid. While clogging a foley is a concern, clogging your urethra is not.

You are going to be slowly stretching the neobladder by holding it longer and longer (according to the schedule).

Also, you will be setting an alarm at night and getting up to urinate according to the schedule your doctor gave you. I think it's every two hours for a while, then every three, then every four, but I don't recall exactly.

Those exercises that Jim posted the link for a great and should help you reach daytime continence fairly quickly.

For me, I never really got night time continence so I use a condom catheter attached to a catheter bag. I don't recommend this unless it seems like you aren't going to reach night time continence. I'm in the minority in this area and I also am kind of hypercontinent during the day and have to catheterize each time I go.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31994 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic Incontinence for noobs
Chris,
I used Depends guards by day, and Depends underwear by night.
Make sure you get some protection for your mattress.
A rubberized mattress pad, a crib pad, or something like that.

I gain total control by day after about 3 months. Still leaking a bit at night, after a year. No pads by day, light pad by night.

These exercises seemed to really help as well.
medicalcenter.osu.edu/PatientEd/Materials/PDFDocs/exer-reh/physical/IncontinenceExerProg.pdf

Just be patient, this is one of the most dificult times. You will be past this before you know it.

Jim

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #31991 by FarRed
Replied by FarRed on topic Incontinence for noobs
LeeH:

That helps. I get my Foley out in two weeks. Can you give me your source and models/names of the pads/attends you initially used?

I do lots of walking in my IT job, but can wear dockers, so I think I can work with this.

I guess I'm apprehensive about balancing the need to hydrate to keep the mucus down so I d/n have to irrigate vs. the need to slow down at night.

Chris

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

13 years 10 months ago #31990 by LeeH
Replied by LeeH on topic Incontinence for noobs
Right after the cath comes out, it will be swim fins and a snorkel for a couple of weeks. That initial part is the worst and I was home during that portion. During that period I was using very heavy pads from a medical supply house until that began to subside. By the time I returned to work after 12 weeks I initially used a depends and a heavy pad. Continence first returns during the day and at night later. You will get varying answers as to how fast but at age 50 I suspect it will be quicker for you. I am 65. I took a couple of changes with me to work along with small plastic waste bags for disposal but that stopped after about a month.

I am 2 years out now. I still am using a very light pad during the day (attends guards for men which I have to get over the internet) to cover a very small amount of leaking, mostly in the late afternoon and a heavier pad at night, although I will probably switch to light pad there too shortly)

Hope this helps a bit.

LeeH

13 years 10 months ago #31988 by FarRed
Incontinence for noobs was created by FarRed
I'll get straight to the point---what's the best diapers for men?

I got a Studer neobladder May 6 and expect to be incontinent for up to six months. I'd like to hear people's experience with this, like how they deal with this at work and nighttime. I still have a Foley and super pubic, and these fill 1.5 to 2 liters at night--how the heck am I going to contain this after the caths are out?
:blink:

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne