Incontinence for noobs

13 years 10 months ago #32009 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Incontinence for noobs
That is correct. Goes on like a condom but the end connects to a catheter hose.
I am going to ask about one if I ever need any type of surgery that requires cather. I have my own and I used them as soon as they pulled the foley.
Last time I had a foley and it clogged. That is why my neo is now 1000ml.

Any time you ever have surgery make everyone aware that you have a neo and that it can clog a foley!!!

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 10 months ago #32008 by FarRed
Replied by FarRed on topic Incontinence for noobs
I take it condom catheters just fit on the outside, you don't actually insert them into the penis?

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

13 years 10 months ago #32002 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic Incontinence for noobs
Even though I am not male I thought I would chime in. I have used just about every brand out there in the last 2 years. My favorite is the Tena brand. They seem to handle the mucosal quality of urine post neo bladder better.

Webs

13 years 10 months ago #32001 by LeeH
Replied by LeeH on topic Incontinence for noobs
www.nationalincontinence.com/pc/1AG/Attends/Attends+Guards+for+Men

These are for very very light protection, when you are at the point when you just need a little something.

www.nationalincontinence.com/pc/1NG/Tena/Tena+Guards+for+Men

I like these for a heavy pad because they are much wider at the top where you need it as opposed to the pads that are a constant width.

By the way, I found this place can deliver very fast in case quantities which makes it extremely convenient.

In the beginning I would look for the medical supply store variety as they are much heavier duty than the commercial variety. They also have a variety of types and will probably give you samples to try. I also was using some large disposable absorbant pads to sleep on. Don't push it but you will see some initial control start to come back in a week or two. I think I began the combined depends/heavy pad routine after about a month.

You may find you are fine when sitting but lose control when you get up. The extra pad makes it easier to replace and toss in white small garbage bag (for discretion) than just using a depends. After a while you will be able to drop the depends at work and just go with the pad. After more time you will be switching to the very light pad.

LeeH

13 years 10 months ago #32000 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Incontinence for noobs
All that time, you could have been drinking beer instead of just water! Oh well, live and learn. :D

Over time, you will stretch the neobladder to 400-500ml. You don't want to really let it stretch much beyond that as that is when it starts having problems emptying. That's why it is important to follow the emptying schedule they give you and keep track of output. Your doctor will explain all this in more detail (if you ask) and you don't want to drink too much or too little. If you drink a lot, then your emptying schedule should be shorter, if you drink too little, then drink more. :) Hydration is a good thing. You do want to discuss this with your doctor though and give him an indication of your fluid intake and output. Ask him specifically, if "based on your intake" you should decrease the time between emptying to prevent overstretching.

Mike

PS: A few guys have told me that they did the condom catheters every now and then at night when they were getting really frustrated with having to get up so often and never felt rested. As long as you don't jump right to the condom catheter and do it every night, something like that seems to work well for men. You just need to manage it. I use one every night and sleep through the night every night. Since I have to cath anyway and have night time incontinence, doesn't seem like much point in wearing pads/diapers and then having to wake up repeatedly to cath. I wake up with between 600-1000ml in the bag and still cath another 600-800 (or so) when I get up in the morning.

Again, I don't recommend using them long term (unless night time continence never comes) as it is counter to training yourself to regaining night time continence. There are a percentage of us that never acheive night time continence so, for us, the condom catheters are a godsend.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 10 months ago #31999 by FarRed
Replied by FarRed on topic Incontinence for noobs
That helps a lot. I'm sure my doctor will be going over much of this, especially the exercises, but I like to be prepared. It seems my new bladder hols about 100ml before I start feeling discomfort, that bloated feeling.

My original plan was to drink 3 liters/day, so perhaps I can scale that back once the caths are out. I've had two Foleys clog up--no fun.

A side note, so much for drinking water to keep away urinary problems--I ended up with bladder/prostate cancer, BPH, and a kidney stone.

Bladder cancer diagnosed Mar, 2010.
Robotic assisted laproscopic cystoprostatectomy with Studer neo-bladder, 2010.
UMC Tucson

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne