An update and a few questions..

14 years 2 months ago #29918 by Christine Springfield
Replied by Christine Springfield on topic An update and a few questions..
Y'all are cracking me up!

Concerning the mucous, I have figured out that diet has a lot to do with the quantity generated after about the first 6 months post-surgery. You will figure out what the "normal" quantity is, then will notice it increases or decreases based on your diet. For example, I get a LOT more mucous after a spicy dinner or any cocktails. If you don't drink enough water, it can clog up your catheter. That is SO not fun. If you drink lots and lots of water, you will get very little mucous.

My doctor had me drinking about 3 gallons of water a day, which caused me to have to cath every 2 hours or risk exploding. After the bladder training schedule, I went back to what I normally drank to stay hydrated and then got to a reasonable 4 - 6 hour schedule.

I could really relate to your concerns about airing these types of issues online when you first started posting (different thread). I was pretty modest, too. I realized that all was lost when I was in the hospital recovering and I had gotten used to baring "the goods" for every yahoo that walked into the room to check on me. One day, a guy walked in and I promptly pulled up my gown... only to find out it was the maintenance man there to fix the window blinds! OOPS.

Great to see you are doing so well and are out enjoying the snow!

T3/G3 - Squamous Cell/Transitional Cell Carcinomas
RC w/Studer Pouch 4/25/07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #29689 by Webs
Replied by Webs on topic An update and a few questions..
Hi George,

I respectfully beg to differ that women's pads have been perfected. I believe due to the higher mucosal make up of our urine post RC that pads do not absorbe properly. :woohoo: :silly: I have tried many pads and night time products and have yet to find the perfect one. :unsure: Oh well maybe someday.

Webs :kiss:

14 years 3 months ago #29688 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic An update and a few questions..
Ed, It is good to hear from you. I know when the questions of incontinence come up.....You are on your way to full recovery! It happens when the little details of normal life become the #1 question.......You are BACK to normal!

As for this pad situation.... I'm thinking "money making opportunity! I have tried EVERY type pad available and they all leak! We could make millions! First, come up with a leak proof pad for MEN (womens pads have been perfected) Then we have a HUGE ad campaign for Bladder patients and $$$$$$$$ come rolling in! Or not! I think maybe the 30 patients on this site are not enough to even return the cost of paper product.

Oh well! Glad you are on your way sled! Good to have you back among the gripers. It means you are BACK!

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

14 years 3 months ago #29673 by Humpy
Replied by Humpy on topic An update and a few questions..
Ed, I started out just as you are doing. Depends Pads during the day,and Depends underwear at night. About 4 months out I was continent, and quit wearing pads during the day, and switched to pads at night. I am now almost eight months out, and still wear pads to bed. I get up once a night to void, and I am anywhere from dry to damp come morning. I am never soaked. I attribute my improvement to physical therapy.
Here are some exercise's that have really helped me.
I do the roll ins (with the ball), and roll outs (with the strap) daily. I will continue these for the next year, along with kegels. A small price to pay to be dry.

medicalcenter.osu.edu/PatientEd/Materials/PDFDocs/exer-reh/physical/IncontinenceExerProg.pdf

As far as mucus, it has improved but is still there.
I drink minimum of 64 oz of water a day, and at least
16oz of cranberry juice. This seems to keep it "thinned" out.
I also take Zantac twice a day. It is for heartburn, but it has proven to help thin mucus as well.

I void every 4 - 5 hours, and it's about 300 - 450cc.
Also 50 -75cc post void, self cathing.

Hope this helps, Jim

Age 54
T1NOMX,Grade 3 Urothelial CIS (Carcinoma in Situ)
Neobladder 5/19/2009
Prostate Capsule Sparing
U of M Hospital, Ann Arbor, Michigan

14 years 3 months ago #29655 by Sled Ed
Replied by Sled Ed on topic An update and a few questions..
Thanks Mike

..on your song thought, My wacky sister came to visit me during my hospital stay singing..'kegel in morming..kegel in the evening..kegel at dinner time..be my kegel baby and love me all the time'. It gave me my first post surgical laugh.

Ed

14 years 3 months ago #29640 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic An update and a few questions..
Happy to help--my friend! :)

Good luck on the recovery. Usually, the nurse gives you the exercises and time schedule before you leave the hospital.

Kegels are key to continence. (Sounds good but I don't think it would make the Top 40 as a song.)

:laugh: :woohoo:

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne