Creatinine Level After RC

14 years 5 months ago #27945 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Creatinine Level After RC
well I went in for cat scan and picked up blood work results ceatines were at 1.3 first time since surgery they are normal. I have been doing the pills and I empty more often, Hope the CAT is good will find out on the 13th, I do have a cyst on my left kidny been there a long time but was a bit larger six months ago if it is this time they want to biobsy, so I am told. Hope it has not changed all other blood states all normal. Don

Hanging in there!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 5 months ago #27942 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Creatinine Level After RC
Sailorman,

Thanks for posting that! It makes me think I am doing the right thing by cathing all the time. I've got a neobladder but I was not emptying well and was having about 400cc of "residual" after emtpying, which caused my neo to stretch to around 800+cc. My uro said I should cath daily but I've pretty much been cathing every time I need to empty. Using a 16French, I can get completely empty in a very short time.

If I was to try to empty without catheterizing, it would take 5-10 minutes and I'd still wind up with about 200cc of residual so I just figured why mess with trying if I can cath and be in and out of the restroom in a couple of minutes.

Sounds like it is a good thing to do for the reason you mention about absorption in addition to being a precaution against over stretching my neo. I think I've actually reduced the size of the neo a bit by doing this also but I have to do some more monitoring of that when I'm home to confirm.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 5 months ago #27908 by SailorMan
Replied by SailorMan on topic Creatinine Level After RC
My creatinine went up at about the time that my left kidney was shutting down due to scarring in the ureter. I was in the .7 range but am now in the 1.5 range since the kidney came out.
I recently had a bout of metabolic acidosis where my creatinine was up in the high 3's and I was hospitalized and given an IV with Sodium Bicarb to help get it down. I now that the 650MG Sodium Bicarb pills 3 x per day.

What I learned was that I might not have been "emptying" often enough. Since the neo is made with Intenstinal tissue, it absorbs some of its contents back into the bloodstream so basically, the kidneys filter out stuff, send to the neo and then end up re-filtering the same stuff. Therefore, part of the answer is to empty more often then I had been.

14 years 5 months ago #27885 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic Creatinine Level After RC
Mine are at 1.5 and they were at 1.6 Doc has me on sodium bicarb 650 mg tabletrug they seem to help 3 per day.Been on them for almost one year. They were higher after RC. I jsut went in for 3 month blood work, Hope all is well and I will also have a ct on Thursday I am now 22 months post op. Last time ct done without IV not sure about this time. Don

Hanging in there!

14 years 6 months ago #27649 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Creatinine Level After RC
lots of things can come into play with a slightly elevated creatinine level.....
high blood pressure and diabetes mellitus. Certain drugs can sometimes cause abnormally elevated creatinine levels. Serum creatinine can also transiently rise after ingestion of large amount of dietary meat by 20 to 30%.
Muscular young or middle-aged adults may have more creatinine in their blood than the norm for the general population.
Also calculated glomerular filtration rate, instead of absolute serum creatinine level, should be used to evaluate kidney function. If nephrotic-range proteinuria is present or if the patient has other indications of renal disease, such as red blood cells or casts in the urine sediment, referral to a nephrologist should be considered. Patients with
any degree of chronic kidney disease should have their blood pressure, blood glucose level, and blood cholesterol level managed aggressively to help reduce or prevent the progression of kidney disease as well as to reduce risk of cardiovascular events.
Angitensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors can increase creatinine levels by causing an increase in serum potassium
a muscle injury can elevate levels.
And finally laboratories can vary on their results...so i would suggest a second lab to evaluate. and i've seen different standards??
A normal value is 0.8 to 1.4 mg/dL.

Females usually have a lower creatinine than males, because they usually have less muscle mass.

Note: Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories
pat

14 years 6 months ago #27643 by SandyMc
Replied by SandyMc on topic Creatinine Level After RC
I had my RC in October 2007 and my level has also hovered at 1.3 or more. My oncologist seems to think it will always be elevated. The thing I hate most about that is they will not do CT scans with contrast for fear it will cause kidney damage. So - I worry every time they do a CT scan, knowing they are not getting the best images.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne