bladder cancer at age 22

17 years 3 months ago #2768 by clur
Replied by clur on topic bladder cancer at age 22
Hi I am 41 which sounds positively geriatric in comparison but like you with no risk factors at all.
The diagnosis is a horrendous shock but the younger you are the more important it is to get treatment quickly .As my oncologist said our cells are naturally more resoponsive than a 60 year olds so younger peoples cancer cells are more aggressive before they start.
My advice would be to get trusted opinions but take good advice and not mess about.I am only six months down the road but if i can help please Pm me.
Love Claire x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #2767 by timb
Replied by timb on topic bladder cancer at age 22
I was 29 when first diagnosed. In the following 13 or 14 years I tired of medics telling me how young I was. It seems there are quite a few younger folk with this illness. I had my bladder removed about 6 weeks ago and am doing great with my neobladder. I went through the same stuff it sounds like you went through e.g. BCGs and countless cystoscopies. Definitely look at the other options as mentioned above. It's incredibly important.

17 years 3 months ago #2758 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic bladder cancer at age 22
I'm sorry to meet another young person with bladder cancer. If you have been told that the outside bag is the only option maybe you should get another opinion. There are new techniques these days and people hardly get the "bag" anymore. Neobladders or Indiana pouches seem to be the way to go and these options don't call for a bag. Get yourself to the best surgeon in the field you can find. Where are you going? Maybe someone can refer you to a good doctor...

Do you know what the last pathology report said?

Wendy

17 years 3 months ago #2755 by amy
Replied by amy on topic bladder cancer at age 22
Hi

I am 26 with bladder cancer. The doctors are baffeled by my age also. I am also female and have never smoked. I also have no family history. If I were you I would get another well respected opinion and then if need be get rid of the bladder. It is better to loose your bladder than your life. There are some other young people on the board. Some have had their bladders removed. There are options. Chris is also a young male and he has a wealth of info. I would send him a message.

Alyssa

17 years 3 months ago #2751 by Mike
bladder cancer at age 22 was created by Mike
Im now a 33 year old male. When I was 22 I had blood in my urine. Bladder cancer it was. Six surgerys later and bcg treatments out the butt, I have been told the bladder needs to go. I dont know about yall but having a bag to hold my urine just seems to suck. I thought they were making bladders out of pig, but I havent heard much about it. That would be the way Id like to go and it seems like less of a change to my life. I have never met a doctor that has seen someone as younge as me with bc so they are kinda at a lost for words. Doctors lost for words I know. I dont know what I want to do. So if anyone has an idea theyd like to share IM listening. Thanks Adam33

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne