infections

14 years 11 months ago #25654 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic infections
Harley UTI's are by their nature gram negative

as for Macrodantin.....Continued or prolonged use of Macrodantin may result in growth of bacteria that do not respond to it. This can cause a renewed infection, so it is important that your doctor monitor your condition on a regular basis.

Now my uneducated guess is that the yeast that is showing up is a result of the Macrodantin being taken every day. And in the elderly this really needs to be monitored as its been shown to have an effect on the kidneys and also the lungs and it sneaks up on you. And it only works if the urine is acidic. And if he takes any kind of magnesium it will just cancel it out.

www.drugs.com/pdr/macrodantin.html

Honestly I'm beginning to not have any faith at all in doctors with the exception of Warren:side: How about trying the cranberry/yogart route? It couldn't hurt. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #25653 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic infections
I read on this site a few months ago about a woman who had about a dozen UTI's in 4 months. Her urologist recommended a supplement called D Mannose and it can be ordered online from a number of different companies. I had a couple of UTI's so I ordered some and since I have been taking it, no infections. It comes in a powder which is tasteless and capsules which I now take just because it is more convenient.

The way it works is that it prevents the bacteria from sticking to the sides of the bladder or whatever is there and just washes the bacteria away.

I don't know if it will help you.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

14 years 11 months ago #25649 by harleygirl
Replied by harleygirl on topic infections
My Dad also uses the pouch/wafer system and seems to get UTIs all the time. He just finished a course of Cipro last week. Both his uro and his infectious disease doc say UTI is the nature of the beast, so to speak. It is especially bad for my Dad because he has stents in both ureters which, in my opinion, allow the bacteria a place to live and serve as a "wick" for the bacteria to travel back to the kidneys. It doesn't look like the stents will be coming out any time soon as we have yet to find a doctor who would be willing to remove them and let Dad try it without them.

There is no backflow valve to prevent urine from going back into the kidneys when you have the ileal conduit, although it usually does not unless you have an obstruction or swelling.

Dad even takes Microdantin daily but still gets the darn infections. Believe me, he and Mom are VERY careful when dealing with the appliance change.

I find it hard to believe that NOTHING can be done to keep these infections at bay. Dad knows the symptoms now and at first sign of UTI he either calls his doc or will go to the ER.

14 years 11 months ago #25648 by balihigh
Replied by balihigh on topic infections
Just a word of caution. Don't let the vinegar touch your stoma. You will cry like a baby!
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

14 years 11 months ago #25646 by Patricia
Sydelle..to follow up......its important to keep the urine acidic..cranberry juice, yogart (do real men eat yogart?:dry: ) buttermilk......and some tips i found from the urostomy association.....

· Urostomates should empty the pouch before it passes the half full level. There is a chance that the bag will pull away from it's seal if too heavy. There is also a chance of urine back-up.

· If you lose the small rubber washer on the drainage plug, it is reported that it can be replaced with a rubber hinge that is used to tighten eye glasses. If the washer on the urinary valve stretches, let it dry thoroughly.

· It may help to insert two ounces of a vinegar/water solution (1/2 cup of white vinegar to one quart of water) through the outlet valve of your emptied appliance twice daily, once in the morning and once at bedtime. Lie down for twenty minutes to allow the solution to "bathe" the affected area.

· Urostomates who do not use a night drain are running a big risk of puddling and the backing up of urine into the conduit up to the kidneys. This may cause not only irritation but serious infection.

· Check the pH of your urine about once a week to be sure the urine is acidic, with a pH of less than 6.0.

· Always wash your hands before working with your appliance or stoma, to avoid introducing bacteria into the stoma.

· Reusable or disposable appliances that are not cleaned adequately or are worn for long periods of time can cause urinary tract infections from bacterial growth in the pouch and urine.

· Signs and symptoms of a urinary tract infection include fever, chills, bloody urine, cloudy or strong-smelling urine, and pain in the back and kidney area. If you experience these symptoms, see your physician!

Pat

14 years 11 months ago #25645 by Patricia
Sydelle....you probably know all this but i'll mention it anyway.....
People with urostomies have a high incidence of complications due to their surgery ... some occurring after 10-12 years. Most complications occur gradually.

One of the most common is caused by an ill-fitting pouching system. A barrier opening that is too large will result in urine that accumulates on the skin around the base of the stoma. The skin may become reddish-brown with raised, thick, leather-like areas. It is important to have a barrier opening that fits up to the stoma to prevent this and other long-term complication.

If the reddish-brown growth is extremely bad, it may be treated with soaks of white vinegar three times a day for three or four days. Vitamin C, taken according to directions, may also be helpful to acidify the urine. Alkaline urine on the skin is irritating. If these measures are not successful, a revision of the stoma is an alternative.

Encrustations or sand-like deposits on or around the stoma are another complication. When these deposits are noticed, start to increase your intake of cranberry juice along with the Vitamin C. Your physician may order Mandelamine to increase urine acidity even more. Orange juice is not recommended because of the high alkaline ash residue it leaves.

One part vinegar to two parts water sloshed over the stoma helps if done once or twice a day. This encrustation can clog up the stoma and eventually cause a closure of the stoma.

Recurrent urinary tract infections are prevalent in most people with a urostomy. Most of you know the symptoms: fever, a strong urine odor, decreased output, amber-colored urine with a large amount of white sediment. You may need more fluids. You should be sipping water all through the day ... at least two quarts of water each day. This will reduce infections and prevent kidney stones.

Remember: The urine coming out of the stoma is sterile; i.e., no bacteria is present. Once it goes into the pouch, bacteria immediately starts to grow. It is important to empty your pouch when it is less that 1/3rd full and to maintain cleanliness in anything that comes near the stoma.

Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne