Comparison of Ileal Conduit to Neobladder

15 years 4 months ago #22330 by kathyk
Replied by kathyk on topic Comparison of Ileal Conduit to Neobladder
Hi ladies! Just putting in my 2 cents. Interesting. My Dr. recommended the Indiana and said I wouldn't be a good candidate for the neo because the location of my tumors and cis probably compromised my urethra and because women have more incontinence problems w/ the neo. In fact, he didn't offer it as choice. My other option was the ileal conduit. Kathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #22295 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Comparison of Ileal Conduit to Neobladder
Patricia - I know some women I spoke to prior to the surgery never were told of the option (indiana pouch)! Just amazing to me.

Best,
Gracie

15 years 4 months ago #22271 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Comparison of Ileal Conduit to Neobladder
Gracie.
Thats because they think the Indiana is for sissy's!! Plus not everyone can do an Indiana...its harder than the other diversions. They're hard sell on the neobladder...and one of the things i do agree with in the article is a discussion with your surgeon on ALL the diversions and the possible outcomes and problems associated with the choice....they don't always do that do they?
Pat

15 years 4 months ago #22268 by Gracie
Replied by Gracie on topic Comparison of Ileal Conduit to Neobladder
Just taking a quick look it seems like a less then perfect study that concludes the obvious. It doesn't really enlighten.

I agree Pat that it shows that people are capable of adjusting. But one would think that they could look at real issues - segregating data for women and specifically comparing the neo and the indiana pouch. That would be worthwhile.

Once again they leave us waiting.

Best,
Gracie

15 years 4 months ago #22243 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Comparison of Ileal Conduit to Neobladder
It pretty much says what everyone here has said.....that we are quite capable of adjusting to whatever diversion we get. I wish there had been a little more research done on infections regarding ileal conduit, neobladder, and Indiana Pouch. I never see much information about that. And i'm curious about it also. I know i'm in quite a minority of people who has had an Indiana Pouch for over 5 3/4 yrs with never a UTI and also a navel stoma. I can understand why more UTI's with the neobladder especially for women as they don't seem to be able to empty completely and well the proximity of where they do have to cath in a pretty vulnerable area for bacteria. Men don't seem to have as many UTI's but they do happen. Pat

15 years 4 months ago #22240 by Cynthia
We often talk about the different diversions here, the pros and cons. What is your take on this research piece?

Health Related Quality of Life After Radical Cystectomy: Comparison of Ileal Conduit to Continent Orthotopic Neobladder

www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2218462

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne